Re: limoncello

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 7, 2008
      Thanks, Vini, it's always interesting to hear someone elae's
      experiences.

      No, my limoncello wasn't bitter, it had something of a powerful
      and 'bitey' taste to it, very similar to a citrus-based cleaning
      fluid.
      But I think it is nearly right after diluting and adjusting the
      alcohol (the ethanol and the glycerine); and the sugar and the
      flavouring (the bit of lemon essence ).

      I'll be looking at your recipe when I make my next attempt.

      Regards,

      The Baker

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Vini" <wineifera@...> wrote:

      > I have also made limoncello several times and have always had to
      > dillute it quite a bit in order to get the right bance of flavour
      > alcohol and sugar. This is how I do it:
      >
      > I peel about 20-30 lemons and avoid all of the white bitter albedo
      > (new word for me). Then I pour 96% pure alcohol on it until it
      covers
      > the peels (about 1 litre) and let it macerate for a week or so. If
      you
      > use weaker alcohol mix the maceration time increases conciderably.
      >
      > After this I dilute the licour with water, alcohol and inverted
      sugar
      > until it tastes good. The result is more intense, cleaner tasting
      and
      > much better than the commercial ones I've bought. I usually get
      around
      > 5 litre out of this.
      >
      > Could it be that you use too few lemons to get the right
      > cencentration? The bitterness could come from any white albedo
      left.

      > If you distill the macerate you will get a consentrate of course but
      > much of the taste will be lost in this process and your result would
      > be a very tasty lemon cointreau, but not a limoncello.
      >

      > /Vini
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, folks,
      > >
      > > I have seen suggestions that lemons used for limoncello are best
      if
      > > they are slightly immature (slightly greenish colour.)
      > > From my recent experience I think that would be right.
      > > The lemons I used (the only ones available) were thoroughly ripe,
      the
      > > peels were bright yellow.
      > > The limoncello had a harsh, sharp taste which I believe came from
      what
      > > I would call 'lemon oil'.
      > > For the technically minded, I have seen citrus-peel-based
      cleaning
      > > fluids described as containing 'limonene' (I think, from memory)
      which
      > > is probably the same thing. It smells about the same.
      > > It seems to me that this 'lemon oil' would develop as the fruit
      becomes
      > > fully ripe and mature and that there wouldn't be much in slightly
      > > immature lemons.
      > > It is also quite possible that I left the lemon zest too long in
      the
      > > alcohol, and that that increased the unpleasant 'bite' in the
      aroma and
      > > especially in the taste of the limoncello.
      > >
      > > I have been fooling with this stuff and have made a practice
      sample a
      > > lot better, breaking the strength down (in terms of flavour) by
      adding
      > > water; and adding alcohol and extra syrup to keep the alcohol and
      > > sweetness balance right.
      > > And when this 'bite' is reduced, the lemon zest flavour also has
      faded
      > > somewhat.
      > > So I have added a little lemon juice (in the first trial I added
      > > higher amount which tasted really nice at first but left an
      unpleasant
      > > acid taste in the mouth for hours afterward), and some glycerine
      and a
      > > little, good quality lemon essence.
      > > Probably sacrilege but I don't care as long as I can save the 35
      litres
      > > of limoncello and have something that tastes nice. I still have
      > > experiment a bit but the result so far is encouraging. Fairly
      good but
      > > not there yet.
      > >
      > > Next year I will see if my wife and her neighbour can strip the
      > > neighbour's lemon tree (they freeze the juice to use later and I
      get
      > > the peels) while the lemons are slightly immature; the juice
      should
      > > still be fine and the limoncello delicious!
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > The Baker

    • duds2u
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 7, 2008
        Zymurgy,
        The common response is, "Yes please, I will have another."
        Cheers
        Mal T.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>