limoncello

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 27, 2008
      Hi, folks,

      I have seen suggestions that lemons used for limoncello are best if
      they are slightly immature (slightly greenish colour.)
      From my recent experience I think that would be right.
      The lemons I used (the only ones available) were thoroughly ripe, the
      peels were bright yellow.
      The limoncello had a harsh, sharp taste which I believe came from what
      I would call 'lemon oil'.
      For the technically minded, I have seen citrus-peel-based cleaning
      fluids described as containing 'limonene' (I think, from memory) which
      is probably the same thing. It smells about the same.
      It seems to me that this 'lemon oil' would develop as the fruit becomes
      fully ripe and mature and that there wouldn't be much in slightly
      immature lemons.
      It is also quite possible that I left the lemon zest too long in the
      alcohol, and that that increased the unpleasant 'bite' in the aroma and
      especially in the taste of the limoncello.

      I have been fooling with this stuff and have made a practice sample a
      lot better, breaking the strength down (in terms of flavour) by adding
      water; and adding alcohol and extra syrup to keep the alcohol and
      sweetness balance right.
      And when this 'bite' is reduced, the lemon zest flavour also has faded
      somewhat.
      So I have added a little lemon juice (in the first trial I added a
      higher amount which tasted really nice at first but left an unpleasant
      acid taste in the mouth for hours afterward), and some glycerine and a
      little, good quality lemon essence.
      Probably sacrilege but I don't care as long as I can save the 35 litres
      of limoncello and have something that tastes nice. I still have to
      experiment a bit but the result so far is encouraging. Fairly good but
      not there yet.

      Next year I will see if my wife and her neighbour can strip the
      neighbour's lemon tree (they freeze the juice to use later and I get
      the peels) while the lemons are slightly immature; the juice should
      still be fine and the limoncello delicious!

      Regards,

      The Baker
    • duds2u
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 7, 2008
        Zymurgy,
        The common response is, "Yes please, I will have another."
        Cheers
        Mal T.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>