Re: [Distillers] cooling coil

  • Jack Ensor
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2008
      I just fill with salt. After winding apply water pressure and after 5 mins it will start driping through. Then before long it is cleared and squirtinT.  I wound 20 turns over a 3/4" mandrel for the inner coil and 20 turns over a 1 1/4 inch mandrel. the turn spacing was about 1/8". Both coils terminated at the bottom into holes I drilled into a 1/2" tee. The center of the tee was fed with a 1/2" line down thru the center of the coils. I plugged the ends of the tee. I think the spacing I ended up with to the wall of the 2" column was about 1/16".  Spacing doesn't matter very much. You're really after as much copper surface area you can get in the volume you're using.  My coil assembly was about 8" long. It works very well above a 2600 watt hot plate,(240 volt).

      Jensor

      Nov 16, 2008 07:16:23 PM, Distillers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      hello, i know this is probably a question that should be asked in New
      Distillers , but i think i want to ask people with experience in coil
      making . would it be better to wind a long coil or a coil that that
      winds over it self to make a doubled up coil. how close should the
      coil be to the head? meaning the OD of the coil in relationship to the
      ID of the head. ie 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" clearance ? now when bending the
      coil ive read fill with sand,salt to stop kinking. i don't want to
      fill 20-30'
      with sand. i was thinking that if i put a valve at each end fill with
      water , closed valves. this might work as water wont compress. any input
      or better ideas would be great. thanx