Re: [Distillers] Falling Film Evaporators and Rising Film Evaporators

  • Link D'Antoni
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2008
      Baker,

       Is this what you are asking about?
       http://www.niroinc.com/evaporators_crystallizers/falling_film_evaporators.asp

      (Yes, Harry, I had to go to the dictionary for that one, 'elucidate'.  I must have missed that day of vocabulary.)

      The Linkster

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2008
        Hi, folks,

        Yeah, thanks Link, that is probably it. I found a reference to
        these evaporators on the Biodiesel (yahoo) group site when I was
        looking through some older postings, from (I think, but I will look
        the reference up in the next couple of days) #21,000 to #21,500.

        Maud and others were discussing removing methanol from partially
        processed Biodiesel by distillation (which is where I became
        interested) and there was also a fair bit of mention of Falling Film
        Evaporators.

        As I said I don't know anything about this equipment but wondered
        if it might have any application in the distillation of drinking
        ethanol; or, to be more accurate, in the separation (to or a greater
        or lesser degree) of the various substances in the wash, principally
        (at least as regards quantity) the ethanol and the water.
        Perhaps it could be used as an adjunct or even an alternative to
        actual distillation, with possible benefits such as economy in time
        or cost, or efficiency or a better or different product.

        Anyway, for what it's worth....

        Maybe it is only useful in regard to oils, but I got the sense
        from looking it up in Wikipedia (though the description was a bit
        complex and theoretical for me to understand it that well) that it
        wasn't just useful for oils.

        I am sure this equipment will be familiar to those of us who
        understand chemical engineering.

        Regards,

        The Baker

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

        > Baker,
        >
        >  Is this what you are asking about?
        >  http://www.niroinc.com/evaporators_crystallizers/falling_film_evapo
        rators.asp

        > (Yes, Harry, I had to go to the dictionary for that
        one, 'elucidate'.  I must have missed that day of vocabulary.)

        > The Linkster

        Evaporators

        <gff_stwrt@ ..> wrote:

        > > Hi, folks,
        >

        > > I have recently heard, for the first time, about Falling Film
        >
        > > Evaporators and Rising Film Evaporators, and have almost no
        >
        > > understanding of exactly what they are or how they work.
        >

        > > Would there be any place for them in our hobby?
        >

        > > Regards,
        >

        > > The Baker
        >

        > Elucidate.
        >

        > Slainte!
        >
        > regards Harry

      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

          > Hi, folks,
          >
          > Yeah, thanks Link, that is probably it. I found a reference to
          > these evaporators on the Biodiesel (yahoo) group site when I was
          > looking through some older postings, from (I think, but I will look
          > the reference up in the next couple of days) #21,000 to #21,500.
          >
          > Maud and others were discussing removing methanol from partially
          > processed Biodiesel by distillation (which is where I became
          > interested) and there was also a fair bit of mention of Falling
          Film
          > Evaporators.
          >
          > As I said I don't know anything about this equipment but
          wondered
          > if it might have any application in the distillation of drinking
          > ethanol; or, to be more accurate, in the separation (to or a
          greater
          > or lesser degree) of the various substances in the wash,
          principally
          > (at least as regards quantity) the ethanol and the water.
          > Perhaps it could be used as an adjunct or even an alternative to
          > actual distillation, with possible benefits such as economy in time
          > or cost, or efficiency or a better or different product.
          >
          > Anyway, for what it's worth....
          >
          > Maybe it is only useful in regard to oils, but I got the sense
          > from looking it up in Wikipedia (though the description was a bit
          > complex and theoretical for me to understand it that well) that it
          > wasn't just useful for oils.
          >
          > I am sure this equipment will be familiar to those of us who
          > understand chemical engineering.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > The Baker
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Baker,
          > >
          > >  Is this what you are asking about?
          >
          >  http://www.niroinc.com/evaporators_crystallizers/falling_film_evapo
          > rators.asp
          > >
          > > (Yes, Harry, I had to go to the dictionary for that
          > one, 'elucidate'.  I must have missed that day of vocabulary.)
          > >
          > > The Linkster

          Elucidate.

          > > Slainte!
          > >
          > > regards Harry

          Hi, Harry , hi folks,

          As I said in my post (above) I don't know much about these Falling
          Film Evaporators but I am interested in the possibility of other
          technologies being useful in our hobby. Unfortunately I have no
          engineering knowledge or experience so I was rather hoping someone
          else might elucidate on whether FFE's might have some application in
          distilling.

          Regards,

          The Baker