Re: [Distillers] Accelerated aging...

  • Jim Creighton
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
      While reading about different methods of  accelerating aging, it occurred to me...and this may seem off the wall... that one could try ageing a distillate with oak chips, shavings or whatever, in an ultrasonic parts cleaner. They are expensive but if someone out there has access to one, it might be worth a try. They come in different sizes. I would think one with 1 liter or more capacity would be practical. Perhaps the solution could be aerated at the same time.

      The ultrasound causes the solution molecules to vibrate rapidly against each other and to act like little scrubbers against any immersed objects in the solution, insinuating themselves into every nook and cranny for faster adsorption or leaching.

      Cheers, Jim

      Those bastards stole my idea!!! Well, in all honest I must admit it had
      been floating around for a while :) Interesting thing is that they
      provide measures for the amount of oak, temperature, duration of
      aeration and final oxygen levels. I just ordered a proper aquarium
      heating for some other experiments, I guess I can try this as well
      since we now solved the rubber smell problem in aeration.

      Cheers, Riku

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
        --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Jim Creighton <jcreighton@...> wrote:
        While reading about different methods of
        accelerating aging, it occurred to me...and this may seem off the wall... that
        one could try ageing a distillate with oak chips, shavings or whatever, in an
        ultrasonic parts cleaner. They are expensive but if someone out there has access
        to one, it might be worth a try. They come in different sizes. I would
        think one with 1 liter or more capacity would be practical. Perhaps the
        solution could be aerated at the same time.

        *************************

        I have a 3/4 gallon ultrasonic cleaner. I might have to give that a try. The nature of ultrasonic cleaners is that they degas the solution in them. The vibration drives any dissolved gases out due to the cavitation action by which they work. One would have to alternately aerate/sonic-ize the spirit.

        Sadly, most of my experiments are on hold as I'm frantically trying to tie up loose ends at work in preparation for a month long holiday in Europe.

        Cheers,
        Trid
      • dearknarl
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
          Gday guys,

          Thoughts that spring to mind on this thread are:

          1. Re ultrasonic cleaners degasing: this might be beneficial because
          it could dislodge stuborn, relatively soluble gases like carbon
          dioxide and make room for dissolving useful gases (ie. oxygen/air) to
          the aging process.

          2. Might ultrasonic cleaners speed activated carbon action? I'd guess
          it would at least hasten the initial stage when wet (or dry, but I
          assume people wash their carbon) carbon is put into solution and the
          residing water (or air) needs to be driven out. The effect on the
          adsoption and other fan dangeled chemical processes that go on in
          activated carbon is beoynd my hypothesising.

          I wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner to play with.

          Cheers,
          knarl.

          On 11/10/08, Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
          > --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Jim Creighton <jcreighton@...> wrote:
          > While reading about different methods of
          > accelerating aging, it occurred to me...and this may seem off the wall...
          > that
          > one could try ageing a distillate with oak chips, shavings or whatever, in
          > an
          > ultrasonic parts cleaner. They are expensive but if someone out there has
          > access
          > to one, it might be worth a try. They come in different sizes. I would
          > think one with 1 liter or more capacity would be practical. Perhaps the
          > solution could be aerated at the same time.
          >
          > *************************
          >
          > I have a 3/4 gallon ultrasonic cleaner. I might have to give that a try.
          > The nature of ultrasonic cleaners is that they degas the solution in them.
          > The vibration drives any dissolved gases out due to the cavitation action by
          > which they work. One would have to alternately aerate/sonic-ize the spirit.
          >
          > Sadly, most of my experiments are on hold as I'm frantically trying to tie
          > up loose ends at work in preparation for a month long holiday in Europe.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Trid

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2008
            For approx 10 years, I have been "accelerating" the aging process.
            Like many people in this group, I make a vodka base - then add some oak
            chips and a trace of pure maple syrup - stored in 6L bell jars. I must
            wait at least 4 months if the bell jar sits on a shelf - but I can
            achieve the same taste in 14 days if I cycle this jar in and out of the
            fridge every 2 days.
          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
              Mark,

              Are the jars completely sealed or do you aerate somewhere in the process?

              Link.