Falling Film Evaporators and Rising Film Evaporators

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2008
      Hi, folks,

      I have recently heard, for the first time, about Falling Film
      Evaporators and Rising Film Evaporators, and have almost no
      understanding of exactly what they are or how they work.

      Would there be any place for them in our hobby?

      Regards,

      The Baker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2008
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

        > Hi, folks,
        >
        > I have recently heard, for the first time, about Falling Film
        > Evaporators and Rising Film Evaporators, and have almost no
        > understanding of exactly what they are or how they work.
        >
        > Would there be any place for them in our hobby?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > The Baker

        Elucidate.

      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2008
          Baker,

           Is this what you are asking about?
           http://www.niroinc.com/evaporators_crystallizers/falling_film_evaporators.asp

          (Yes, Harry, I had to go to the dictionary for that one, 'elucidate'.  I must have missed that day of vocabulary.)

          The Linkster

          > I have recently heard, for the first time, about Falling Film
          > Evaporators and Rising Film Evaporators, and have almost no
          > understanding of exactly what they are or how they work.
          >
          > Would there be any place for them in our hobby?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > The Baker

          Elucidate.

        • gff_stwrt
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2008
            Hi, folks,

            Yeah, thanks Link, that is probably it. I found a reference to
            these evaporators on the Biodiesel (yahoo) group site when I was
            looking through some older postings, from (I think, but I will look
            the reference up in the next couple of days) #21,000 to #21,500.

            Maud and others were discussing removing methanol from partially
            processed Biodiesel by distillation (which is where I became
            interested) and there was also a fair bit of mention of Falling Film
            Evaporators.

            As I said I don't know anything about this equipment but wondered
            if it might have any application in the distillation of drinking
            ethanol; or, to be more accurate, in the separation (to or a greater
            or lesser degree) of the various substances in the wash, principally
            (at least as regards quantity) the ethanol and the water.
            Perhaps it could be used as an adjunct or even an alternative to
            actual distillation, with possible benefits such as economy in time
            or cost, or efficiency or a better or different product.

            Anyway, for what it's worth....

            Maybe it is only useful in regard to oils, but I got the sense
            from looking it up in Wikipedia (though the description was a bit
            complex and theoretical for me to understand it that well) that it
            wasn't just useful for oils.

            I am sure this equipment will be familiar to those of us who
            understand chemical engineering.

            Regards,

            The Baker

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

            > Baker,
            >
            >  Is this what you are asking about?
            >  http://www.niroinc.com/evaporators_crystallizers/falling_film_evapo
            rators.asp

            > (Yes, Harry, I had to go to the dictionary for that
            one, 'elucidate'.  I must have missed that day of vocabulary.)

            > The Linkster

            Evaporators
            > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 6:58 AM
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "gff_stwrt"
            <gff_stwrt@ ..> wrote:

            > > Hi, folks,
            >

            > > I have recently heard, for the first time, about Falling Film
            >
            > > Evaporators and Rising Film Evaporators, and have almost no
            >
            > > understanding of exactly what they are or how they work.
            >

            > > Would there be any place for them in our hobby?
            >

            > > Regards,
            >

            > > The Baker
            >

            > Elucidate.
            >

            > Slainte!
            >
            > regards Harry

          • gff_stwrt
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

              > Hi, folks,
              >
              > Yeah, thanks Link, that is probably it. I found a reference to
              > these evaporators on the Biodiesel (yahoo) group site when I was
              > looking through some older postings, from (I think, but I will look
              > the reference up in the next couple of days) #21,000 to #21,500.
              >
              > Maud and others were discussing removing methanol from partially
              > processed Biodiesel by distillation (which is where I became
              > interested) and there was also a fair bit of mention of Falling
              Film
              > Evaporators.
              >
              > As I said I don't know anything about this equipment but
              wondered
              > if it might have any application in the distillation of drinking
              > ethanol; or, to be more accurate, in the separation (to or a
              greater
              > or lesser degree) of the various substances in the wash,
              principally
              > (at least as regards quantity) the ethanol and the water.
              > Perhaps it could be used as an adjunct or even an alternative to
              > actual distillation, with possible benefits such as economy in time
              > or cost, or efficiency or a better or different product.
              >
              > Anyway, for what it's worth....
              >
              > Maybe it is only useful in regard to oils, but I got the sense
              > from looking it up in Wikipedia (though the description was a bit
              > complex and theoretical for me to understand it that well) that it
              > wasn't just useful for oils.
              >
              > I am sure this equipment will be familiar to those of us who
              > understand chemical engineering.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > The Baker
              >

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Baker,
              > >
              > >  Is this what you are asking about?
              >
              >  http://www.niroinc.com/evaporators_crystallizers/falling_film_evapo
              > rators.asp
              > >
              > > (Yes, Harry, I had to go to the dictionary for that
              > one, 'elucidate'.  I must have missed that day of vocabulary.)
              > >
              > > The Linkster

              Elucidate.

              > > Slainte!
              > >
              > > regards Harry

              Hi, Harry , hi folks,

              As I said in my post (above) I don't know much about these Falling
              Film Evaporators but I am interested in the possibility of other
              technologies being useful in our hobby. Unfortunately I have no
              engineering knowledge or experience so I was rather hoping someone
              else might elucidate on whether FFE's might have some application in
              distilling.

              Regards,

              The Baker