Accelerated aging...

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
      http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2002/0168446.html?
      query=whiskey+aging+chips&stemming=on

      Those bastards stole my idea!!! Well, in all honest I must admit it had
      been floating around for a while :) Interesting thing is that they
      provide measures for the amount of oak, temperature, duration of
      aeration and final oxygen levels. I just ordered a proper aquarium
      heating for some other experiments, I guess I can try this as well
      since we now solved the rubber smell problem in aeration.

      Cheers, Riku
    • Jim Creighton
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
        While reading about different methods of  accelerating aging, it occurred to me...and this may seem off the wall... that one could try ageing a distillate with oak chips, shavings or whatever, in an ultrasonic parts cleaner. They are expensive but if someone out there has access to one, it might be worth a try. They come in different sizes. I would think one with 1 liter or more capacity would be practical. Perhaps the solution could be aerated at the same time.

        The ultrasound causes the solution molecules to vibrate rapidly against each other and to act like little scrubbers against any immersed objects in the solution, insinuating themselves into every nook and cranny for faster adsorption or leaching.

        Cheers, Jim

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
          --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Jim Creighton <jcreighton@...> wrote:
          While reading about different methods of
          accelerating aging, it occurred to me...and this may seem off the wall... that
          one could try ageing a distillate with oak chips, shavings or whatever, in an
          ultrasonic parts cleaner. They are expensive but if someone out there has access
          to one, it might be worth a try. They come in different sizes. I would
          think one with 1 liter or more capacity would be practical. Perhaps the
          solution could be aerated at the same time.

          *************************

          I have a 3/4 gallon ultrasonic cleaner. I might have to give that a try. The nature of ultrasonic cleaners is that they degas the solution in them. The vibration drives any dissolved gases out due to the cavitation action by which they work. One would have to alternately aerate/sonic-ize the spirit.

          Sadly, most of my experiments are on hold as I'm frantically trying to tie up loose ends at work in preparation for a month long holiday in Europe.

          Cheers,
          Trid
        • dearknarl
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
            Gday guys,

            Thoughts that spring to mind on this thread are:

            1. Re ultrasonic cleaners degasing: this might be beneficial because
            it could dislodge stuborn, relatively soluble gases like carbon
            dioxide and make room for dissolving useful gases (ie. oxygen/air) to
            the aging process.

            2. Might ultrasonic cleaners speed activated carbon action? I'd guess
            it would at least hasten the initial stage when wet (or dry, but I
            assume people wash their carbon) carbon is put into solution and the
            residing water (or air) needs to be driven out. The effect on the
            adsoption and other fan dangeled chemical processes that go on in
            activated carbon is beoynd my hypothesising.

            I wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner to play with.

            Cheers,
            knarl.

            On 11/10/08, Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
            > --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Jim Creighton <jcreighton@...> wrote:
            > While reading about different methods of
            > accelerating aging, it occurred to me...and this may seem off the wall...
            > that
            > one could try ageing a distillate with oak chips, shavings or whatever, in
            > an
            > ultrasonic parts cleaner. They are expensive but if someone out there has
            > access
            > to one, it might be worth a try. They come in different sizes. I would
            > think one with 1 liter or more capacity would be practical. Perhaps the
            > solution could be aerated at the same time.
            >
            > *************************
            >
            > I have a 3/4 gallon ultrasonic cleaner. I might have to give that a try.
            > The nature of ultrasonic cleaners is that they degas the solution in them.
            > The vibration drives any dissolved gases out due to the cavitation action by
            > which they work. One would have to alternately aerate/sonic-ize the spirit.
            >
            > Sadly, most of my experiments are on hold as I'm frantically trying to tie
            > up loose ends at work in preparation for a month long holiday in Europe.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Trid

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2008
              For approx 10 years, I have been "accelerating" the aging process.
              Like many people in this group, I make a vodka base - then add some oak
              chips and a trace of pure maple syrup - stored in 6L bell jars. I must
              wait at least 4 months if the bell jar sits on a shelf - but I can
              achieve the same taste in 14 days if I cycle this jar in and out of the
              fridge every 2 days.
            • Link D'Antoni
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
                Mark,

                Are the jars completely sealed or do you aerate somewhere in the process?

                Link.