Re: Aging in Glass

  • Vini
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
      Also two years ago I ran apple cider through my pot still. >200 liter
      were distilled twice to some 10-12 liter of hearts. I put in finger
      sized toasted oak bits at ~65%. First a few, then more and more until
      I had maybe 25 or so. Steadily decreasing strength to ~40%. Half a
      year later I thought it was wy enough with oak and stopped adding and
      instead removing all pieces. I also learned here, from Harry about
      using forced aeration with an aquarium pump (no probs with rubber
      since the pump is 40 years). I even addded the tails for more
      complexity, after some months of aeration. Unfotunately(?) I ran my 3
      liters of apple heads in a 95,6 distillation. It might have improved
      with air. But who knows.

      Anyway, my Calvados has steadily become better and better. The
      harshness is gone now and the oak has married well with the apple. A
      nice sweetness has evolved and you can see that green tinge which is
      commen in good calva.

      And I still have 6 liters!!!! :)

      Now I've started aerating my unoaked plum slivovitz. There is wee too
      much tails in it, but with aeration it might turn out well.

      Thanx Harry and group!
      /Vini