Re: Brazing - brass to SS?

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2008
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I like to use the Radnor/Harris 45% silver braze kit. Map/Oxy
      > > should
      > > > make plenty of heat for the application. A kit will usually run you
      > > > around 20 bucks at your local welding supply, Air liquide, Holox,
      > > and
      > > > such. Basically just flux and heat cherry red or until the wire
      > > flows
      > > > and let it cool. The stuff is great for SS, Plain Steel, Copper,
      > > > Brass and any combination of them. Does not work for AL. I believe
      > > > the tensile strength of the Joint if done properly is around 80,000
      > > PSI.
      > > > I built a Frank Dehass rifle action with the stuff as was
      > > recommended
      > > > in the book instructions. Has held up to a few thousand rounds of
      > > > Lead 38-55 rounds. Just make sure you want/like what you use it on
      > > > because unlike lead free plumbers solder and a propane torch this
      > > > stuff is pretty much forever.
      > > >
      > > > Mason
      > > >

      > I've tried the whole brazing welding before. I got tired of the stuff
      > always cracking and causing all kinds of hell. I've found that
      > stainless to stainless is the best way to do it. Spend the right
      > amount of money and get it done right if you plan on doing this hobby
      > for a long time. I did it and I don't regret it. I now know I will not
      > have to get another welding job done in my lifetime because the job
      > was done right.
      >
      > Just saying....
      >
      > Disk

      You are not the only person to say this so I have no doubts that this
      Cracking Issue happens. However I have never experienced a single
      issue using the product I recommended. On the other hand those Cheap
      flat rods/sticks that you can get in you local tractor supply that say
      silver braze are a complete JOKE and nothing but trouble. I called
      the company that makes these so called Silver rods and they admit that
      they are only at best 1/2% silver. The product that I use is Cadmium
      as well as lead free and flows like water even in tight joints. If
      you make the jump to the more expensive 56% stuff you get the USDA and
      use for Dairy approval. I have never had a cracking issue on any of
      the metals I have used it on. Welding Stainless is not without
      problems either. Correct shielding gas, Purging the inside of the
      tube and correct filler material are all necessary to do the job
      correctly to avoid cracking and crystallization. I assume you paid
      someone to weld your rig. I am not willing to take that chance in
      these parts. Your argument has merit but I have welded professionally
      for many years and can say without doubt that DONE RIGHT (huge
      variable) brazing in most cases is just as good or better than a weld.

      Mason