Re: pure spirit

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
      Use dextrose (glucose) as do breweries and not sucrose (table sugar).
      Fructose from sucrose give
      s a cidery sweet taste.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

      > Hi Group,
      > I have been following the threads on poteen and as someone who had
      access to the vile substance all my life, wonder why anyone would
      like to replicate it. I also have access to russian samagon and think
      similarlily about it.I realise that people like to see what things
      they have heard about actually taste like. I posted a question some
      time ago about residual taste,ie.,sugar wash tends to taste sweet
      even at 96.5%abv.and how one might overcome this, but all I got was a
      blank. On one of the latest posts it was suggested that potato wash
      gave a potato taste. My query is, how much the base wash impinges
      on  the end taste of a 95.6 alcohol. my latest distillation gave a
      completely neutral taste. The wash was sugar based made with a turbo
      yeast. It was fermented in the most favourable conditions and was
      cleared and left for 3 weeks. The column was 3in.x 56in.copper
      packed. I realise that this is taller than is normal(it was just what
      I had available).I am