Fwd: Re: deantus an poitin (making the poitin) tv program

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2008

      A UK hundredweight (cwt) is 112lbs or 50.8 kg
      A UK gallon is 4.5 litres
      The recipe for a poitin mash is therefore 2.2 kg of malted barley/4l
      of water.
      Network Ireland Television made a 52 minute documentary in
      1999 "which is a relative primer on how to make your own 'water of
      life'".
      http://www.network-irl-tv.com/poitin.htm
      Wal
      PS I read that for malting, bags of barley were soaked in acidic bog
      water. The acidity helped prevent bacterial contamination and also
      added flavour. The Chinese also soak rice in acidic water for the
      same reason.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...>
      wrote:
      > our irish language TV station had yet another program on making
      > poitin, again i missed part of it but got some interesting notes.
      >
      > i missed the start which i think would have had malting details.
      the
      > recipe used was 2 hundred weight (not sure what that is in kg)
      barley
      > and 40 gallons of water (40x4.5l gallon). mashing was done at a
      temp
      > which was guessed from experience, no thermometers. mashing done
      for
      > 30mins. no mention of any other grains or potatoes, just barley.
      they
> [...]
      water,
      > apparently to stop leaks but maybe for a bit of reflux too. a
      conical
      > copper arm came out the side of this pointing slightly down,
      started
      > about 3" diameter going into about 1" and then into a "worm" into a
      > 40l barrel or water. all seals were done with a thick dough like
      > paste they called "luten" made from oatmeal and water. they checked
      > for leaks with a flame while running! they used very dry turf so it
      > wouldnt give off much smoke to stop the gardai (police) catching
      > them. the guy rowed a boat out on a lake to a remote place to run
      the
      > still and had buried sections of his still. they interviewed many
      old
      > distillers who had great stories about getting the gardai drunk and
      > running off. all done in the west of ireland in conamara.
      >
      > they called the initial run spirits "singling" and it took 4 hours
      > collect about 4-5 gallons. the guy kept taking small shot glasses
      and
      > throwing them on the fire. when it no longer flamed up they stop
      > collecting, decent cuts so! the spent wash was called "borm beer"
      and
      > was fed to cattle.
      >
      > the second run was called "doubling". the singling was not diluted
      > down. they separated the first pint of the doubling run. they
      called
      > the first pint "the pure drop" which was highly sought after and
      used
      > for medicinal purposes, no mention that it is harmful. it is also
      > said to cure arthritis by rubbing it into joints (a friend of mine
      > originally from west ireland requested some for this a while back).
      > again they made a cut when the spirit no longer flamed but they
      > continued to collect for a while. they called the cut the feints
      and
      > it was used later on for "proofing". this proofing bit was hard to
      > understand and i think it lost some info in the translation. a guy
      > had a large jug and a shot glass, he kept adding feints to the pure
      > spirit in the jug and poured it into the glass over and over. he
      was
      > looking for "beading" in the glass. it appeared as little oil like
      > drops on the surface. from this i think he calcutlated exactly how
      > much feints he was to add to the main run so it was just about to
      > start "beading". no aging was done.
      >
      > it went through the history of poitin. at one stage many turned to
      > legal distillation due to low tax, many of the irish distilleries
      > today were started by poitin makers. it said in the second half of
      > the 20th century many had stared supplementing washes with sugar
      and
      > quality had lowered dramatically. some added sugar to unmalted
      > barley. many had started using gas burners and steel barrels too.

      --- End forwarded message ---