bad smell, bad taste

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2008
      Ciao a tutti.

      Days ago I posted something about some bad taste and bad smell into
      my grappa when I distil grape pomaces.

      I think I solved the problem.

      It isn't some over-heating of grape pomaces, as I thought after the
      Harry's doubts: I even distilled by using the submerged pomaces
      method and, more, I took a lot of time: 7 hours instead of the 2.30 -
      3 hours that I norally use to distil a batch.

      You have to know that during the months of April, May, June and a
      little bit July, in the North of Italy rained a lot. So, the wine
      maker used a lot of "powders" to treat grapes because after some days
      of water some sunny days arrived; then water, then sun .....

      Just this evening I was informed by him that normally he make 6 - 8
      treatments to the grapes: last year he did about 16 treatments !!!!!!

      Then, starting from July, no water arrived: he said that even now,
      that they are pruning the grapes, their hands are blue from the
      powder they gave on July !!!!!

      So you can imagine that poor grape pomaces: very beautiful, smelling
      so nice, and .... so horrible to distil; GGGGRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!

      I have to toss about 700 kg of grape pomaces !!!!!!!

      Yes, should be possible to "push" the distillation to the maximum
      degree (about 90%) but ...... isn't this I want.

      I can distil the same, to get some alcohool to use with cherries,
      raisins, dried apricots but ... it's like to expect a joung beautiful
      woman and an old woman (an old fart is correct?) arrive.

      May be I'll use as fuel to the mashinery to cut the grass of the
      garden: the Briggs&Stratton engine can digest even this (I hope).

      The "powders" have a fixed period of activity, normally 6 - 8 -15 -
      23 days: after this they loose the possibility to make some damage to
      the human being healthy, but the truth is that the "powder" is on the
      grape, even if not dangerous anymore, so can give some strange
      flavours, smells, and so on.

      Add that the wine maker change every time the brand of product, ......

      So, this post is to thank Harry and to inform form friends about what
      happened, just to share experience.

      Ciao a tutti

      micio felice