Rum Dunder vs Whiskey Backset during spirits run, Hey Harry!

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2008
      Hi

      I´ve been using dunder for rum making for both fermentation and spirits
      run with good results. Now I wonder if distilling spirits runs of
      whisky using backset is recommended and/or does it give as much aroma
      and flavor as dunder gives to rum´s spirits distillations. I´m after
      scotch via DME/LME and dextrose or white sugar (experiments going) and
      I´m not using the backset for sour mash.

      Also I´d like to know if 4 Kg dextrose + 2/3 pounds of DME/LME for 25
      liters are too much of a SG for Prestige´s whiskey yeast with AG, since
      now I´m using EC-1118, but not getting too much aroma and before I used
      baker´s but it tends to overflow the fermentor.

      Thanks

      Alex