Pumpkin Booze redux

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
      Jim,
      Last year you said you tried to make some pumpkin whiskey.
      Well, it is pumpkin season & I got a lot of them. How did your run
      turn out? Worth the effort? Where did that recipe come from again?
      Cheers
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008

        Hi M,

        Instead of trying to ferment it in the pumpkin shell, I ended up cooking it and then mushed it up.  However, had to add so much sugar to get the SG up it just turned into a pumpkin flavored sugar wash.  Unfortuantely raw pumpkin only has about 1.5 grams of sugar per cup and no nutrients.  See: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

        I got about a quart of something that tasted like a cross between a rum and Calvados LOL.

        Frankly, wouldn't waste the time on it again, and just stick with me rum hehe.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

        > Jim,
        > Last year you said you tried to make some pumpkin whiskey.
        > Well, it is pumpkin season & I got a lot of them. How did your run
        > turn out? Worth the effort? Where did that recipe come from again?
        > Cheers

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

        > Jim,
        > Last year you said you tried to make some pumpkin whiskey.
        > Well, it is pumpkin season & I got a lot of them. How did your run
        > turn out? Worth the effort? Where did that recipe come from again?
        > Cheers

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
          Side Note:

          Here's the Recipe if you want to try - it came from one of the wine
          recipe sites I use.

          8 cups pumpkin (cooked)
          5 cups sugar (thats about 2.3 lbs - so adjust to your use)
          1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
          3 teaspoon acid blend
          1 campden tablet (scratch that - its for wine making)
          1 package wine yeast
          1 gallon water, boiling

          - mix all ingredients till turns into a mash. Let cool.
          - pitch yeast.

          Note: 1 cup of pumpkin also has 7.54 grams of starch per cup, so if you
          want to try mashing it with some malt or alpha / beta amylase you could
          try it.

          Jim.
        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
            I looked up that book.
            it is here http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/21252
            Recipe says "treat like potatoes- but cook less"
            I think some sort of mashing would work well,Once you got rid of the
            skins.
            Cheers