RE: [Distillers] Question about yield

  • Lars Norberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
      >Looks like you're making the alcohol ok - using enough sugar & getting
      it >to drop enough SG at the end. If half the sugar was becoming yeast
      (very >remote chance), then you'd probably notice it from the shear
      volume of >yeast remaining at the end. But I'm guessing your yeast
      sediment is only >1-2cm thick (normal) ?

      Hehe, yeah, I would guess it is about normal. Absolutely not more than 1
      cm sediment when the rest of it is absolutely clear. This is a possible
      place of some loss though, as I opened the fermenter lid once every
      other day to make a measurement of how far in the process I was, and to
      make a comparison between the different strands of yeasts that I used,
      so some oxygen may have been available and thereby letting the yeast
      grow instead of producing alcohol, but it shouldn't have happened to any
      large extent.

      >> If I really push the distillation going as high in temperature as I
      >> possibly can I probably could get somewhere around 2.5-3 liters of
      >> output from those 25 liters. Doesn't sound too good does it?

      >No point ruining the quality though.

      No, I don't use the stuff, it was just to see how much non-water stuff
      there was in the mash. And it still wasn't much.

      >Have you checked the still for vapour leaks ? Smell/hear anything ?

      Yeah, I did a comparison between what I got out + what was left in the
      still, and it added up to what I put in.

      >Could the distillate somehow not be dripping into the collection jar
      but >running somewhere else ? (gees - reckon you'd spot a litre or so
      puddle on >the floor !)

      No, not a chance :)
      And as I did the out vs in check, there just isn't more alcohol in the
      mash than what I get out.

      Hmm... the mystery continues :)

      /Lars
    • Lars Norberg
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
        Ok, so around 4 liters of 92% alcohol from 8 kg of sugar.
        Well, I'm still pretty far below, but not by more than perhaps 1 liter
        though.
        But 4 liters of 92% alcohol is a pretty bad result also, as the
        mash then only would be barely 15%, and it should be closer to 20 than
        that.