(no subject)

  • elraymiles@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2002
      HOW DO YOU DETERMINE THE PURITY OF THE COLLECTED ALCOHOL AND WHERE DO YOU GET
      THE TESTER?
    • mattdistiller
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2002
        --- In Distillers@y..., elraymiles@a... wrote:
        > HOW DO YOU DETERMINE THE PURITY OF THE COLLECTED ALCOHOL AND WHERE
        DO YOU GET
        > THE TESTER?

        Hi,

        Just a note on email etiquette - A letter all types in capitals is
        considered YELLING - and it not that easy to read! Try hitting
        the "Caps Lock" button on your keyboard!

        You test the purity of collected alcohol with a hydrometer which is
        specifically calibrated/scaled for alcohol purity. They are usually
        called a "Alcoholmeter", and measure the % ethanol in a water/ethanol
        solution.

        Most brew shops have them for sale - Where are you? Maybe someone
        can point you to a local dealer?

        Hope this helps,

        Matt
      • king edward potatohead
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2002

          ---- Begin Original Message ----
          You test the purity of collected alcohol with a hydrometer which is
          specifically calibrated/scaled for alcohol purity. �They are usually
          called a "Alcoholmeter", and measure the % ethanol in a water/ethanol
          solution. �

          I've never manged to find one calibrated for spirits over here in brew shops, the lab catalogues
          have certified customs and excise alcometers but they cost a small fortune. I usualy take my
          SG by weighing 5ml in the lab and comparing it to a little graph I worked out using anhydrous
          ethanol mixed with various proportions of water,
          I was wondering about making a small balance of the sliding counterweight type with a small
          vessle on one end to filled to the brim with spirit - it ought to be possible to mark the balance
          arm in %ABV,
          Strounge

          A beer.com Beer Mail fanatic
          Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at beer.com.