RE: [Distillers] Vapor Management Still

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2002
      >so the faster the vapor shoots past the side opening to the valve, the
      less likely it is that any vapor will find its way into that side opening.
      Make it fast enough, and air will actually be drawn INTO the column, just
      like fuel is drawn into a carburettor in an auto engine.

      Randy,

      Do you think the following setup would work ? Eg make the path to the
      distillate offtake a direct/straight-through one, whereas the path to the
      reflux condensor requires a couple of turns on the way. That way when the
      control valve was opened at the end of the total reflux period, there might
      be some incentive for the vapour to venture that way, rather than being
      drawn to the refluxing condensor ?

      Maybe it instead needs a gate valve on the reflux side as well, so that you
      could temporarily induce a bit of resistance on that arm, and encourage the
      flow into the other side. You'd need a little care to ensure that you
      never got to the stage of having both valves closed or offering too much
      resistance (and hence pressurising the whole system), but thats managable.

      Tony
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2002
        > Do you think the following setup would work ?

        I'll actually try attaching it this time !

        Tony
      • klcampbell
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2002
          G'day Tony,the largest condenser should be the reflux condenser,if you are in proportion in your sketch then it is a bit dodgy.Regards,Ken.