Re: Harry (and others)- what is your current malt whisky wash recipe

  • duds2u
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 16, 2008
      > .........I haven't done much whisky lately. Been concentrating on
      other
      > things. But if I was in need of a quick fix, then Dry Malt Extract, a
      > good distillers whisky yeast (there's a few around) and Essence of
      > Peatreek (search it here) would probably be as easy as it gets with
      > acceptable results. Mind you, Glenmorangie it ain't. But it's better
      > than some of the cheap commercial blends.

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      G'Day Harry,
      Care to enlighten us on the distillers whisky yeasts that you have had
      good results with and maybe where you found them if that's kosher.

      The only one that I have been able to acquire down here is the Prestige
      whisky yeast with AG. Mostly I have stuck with bakers and a good ale
      yeast. I have been getting good flavours but losing out on the yield.
      The few times I used the WD yeast I found that I picked up between 2
      and 5 SG points on the fermentation.
      Cheers
      Mal T.