RE: [Distillers] scent of ethanol

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008

      What kind of wash are you using? If you have a floral smell then this is ethyl acetate, ethanol smells usually only of booze, which has a boiling point 1C below ethanol so if reflux distilling collect and discard the first 50 mls as fore-shots then collect heads until the smell disappears and combine with tails for re-distilling later usually around 200mls? Your nose will tell you then collect your hearts at between 78C and 79C slowly and use temperature and ABV testing (good if you have a parrots beak) then cut to tails when ABV and temp indicate.

      Alcohol boiling (Vaporizing) Temperatures

      •    Acetone 56.5C (134F)
      • Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
      • Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
      • Ethanol 78C (172F)
      • 2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
      • 1-Propanol 97C (207F)
      • Water 100C (212F)
      • Butanol 116C (241F)
      • Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)