Re: Harry (and others)- what is your current malt whisky wash recipe

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8 4:31 PM

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bordermeister" <bordermeister@...> wrote:

      > Hi Harry, I started a while ago and used your simple whisky wash
      > recipe with good results, strayed into the realm of clean vodka and
      > have come back to true artisan spirits.
      >
      > I have made several 'Glenmorangie' clone runs - the latest needs its
      > spirit run hopefully this weekend. The latest are getting better but
      > are a fair bit of effort/cost compared to your (Harry's) original recipe.
      >

      > I now have a nice flavourful feints collection and am wondering if the
      > effort of the 'Glenmorangie' clone recipe is worth the cost/effort.

      .......Only your tastebuds & your desire for perfection can answer that.  What price achievement?  Maybe a comparison with the commercial offerings will be enlightening...

      Glenmorangie, Scotch Single Malt 12Yr ...$79.98 - SF Wine Trading Co.
      Glenmorangie 18year Malt Scotch 750ML$149.99 - Wally's Wine & Spirits
      Glenmorangie Single Malt Scotch Whisky$113.00 - 1-877-Spirits.com

      > I realise this all comes down to personal preference, however I hold a
      > great deal of respect for your hard earned knowledge, and was just
      > curious to know how your current whisky wash is comprised - if you do
      > not mind sharing your hard earned knowledge on this.

      .........I haven't done much whisky lately.  Been concentrating on other things.  But if I was in need of a quick fix, then Dry Malt Extract, a good distillers whisky yeast (there's a few around) and Essence of Peatreek (search it here) would probably be as easy as it gets with acceptable results.  Mind you, Glenmorangie it ain't.  But it's better than some of the cheap commercial blends.

      > Many Thanks
      > Mark
      >
      > PS - I am a convert into trying to make a true quality homemade whisky
      > after all of my forays.

      ................Then accept the fact that there are really no shortcuts to achieving this.  18 yo whisky cannot be made any other way than top quality ingredients, technique and 18 years slumber in a Quercus Alba cask.  If this is your aim, start now, and make enough to sample some along the way (why else would you do it in the first place?).  Whatever remains of it you can leave as a memorable legacy for your relatives to imbibe at your wake.  <BG>

    • bordermeister
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8 4:35 PM
        Hi Robert,
        I don't have a problem with all of the work I put in for what I am
        making, what I was after was (if Harry or others are willing to share)
        his/their current whisky wash recipe.

        I have followed all of Harry's earlier posts and learnt a damn huge
        amount from Harry and yourself. I have no intention of aspiring to
        swill, I am aspiring to make a nice malt whisky, I was just after some
        further insight from others.

        Harry used to make a malt extract based wash, I was interested in
        after doing the Glenmorangie clone article he had changed his recipe
        to that, kept his old, came up with a hybrid recipe etc...

        Apologies if anyone mistook my intent to make cheap swill - that is
        not my intent, the opposite in fact, but was just intereted in gaining
        the learnings from others (a sharing our collective hard earned
        knowledge).

        Cheers
        Mark

> [...]
        > and everyone loves it) And of course, if you've cut all those
        > corners, you're sure as *hell* not going to age that crap 30
        > years.
        >
        > On the other hand, as a home distiller, you're not necessarily
        > bound to making economical whisk(e)y, and you can decide
        > for yourself what kind of whisk(e)y you'll make. You can make
        > a hootch as nasty as you want, or you can aspire to ambrosia.
        > You may not quite achieve the latter, but the former's easy as
        > pie.
        >
        > For me, it just never made sense to aspire to swill.
        >
        > Last weekend, at a party of a very close friend, we were
        > sipping wine on the deck when the cry went up, "Andy's
        > bringing out the fruit jars!", and I knew it was my stuff that
        > I had given him over the years. In all those jars was a pint,
        > half full on oak chips, of a yellow plum brandy I'd made 3+
        > years earlier, that had somehow escaped the "death by a
        > thousand sips".
        >
        > Aged 3 years, I think that is the best stuff I've ever made,
        > and rivals the best brandy I've ever tasted (later batches of
        > yellow plum never quite stood up to that one). Having done
        > that with brandy, I'm sure I can do it with whisk(e)y also,
        > but I understand it'll take some effort.
        >
        > Anyway, before you start, make up your mind which you want,
        > economical whisk(e)y, simple whisk(e)y, efficient whisk(e)y,
        > or good whisk(e)y, and then your path will be clear.
        >
        > (I have this urge to end that sentence with "little
        > grasshopper", but that's just my weirdness)
        >
        > I hope this helps.
        >

        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
        >
        > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > From: bordermeister@...
        > Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:32:21 +0000
        > Subject: [Distillers] Harry (and others)- what is your current malt
        whisky wash recipe

        > Hi Harry, I started a while ago and used your simple
        whisky wash

        > recipe with good results, strayed into the realm of clean vodka and
        >
        > have come back to true artisan spirits.
        >

        > I have made several 'Glenmorangie' clone runs - the latest needs its
        >
        > spirit run hopefully this weekend. The latest are getting better but
        >
        > are a fair bit of effort/cost compared to your (Harry's) original
        recipe.

        > I now have a nice flavourful feints collection and am wondering if the
        >
        > effort of the 'Glenmorangie' clone recipe is worth the cost/effort.
        >

        > I realise this all comes down to personal preference, however I hold a
        >
        > great deal of respect for your hard earned knowledge, and was just
        >
        > curious to know how your current whisky wash is comprised - if you do
        >
        > not mind sharing your hard earned knowledge on this.
        >

        > Many Thanks
        >
        > Mark
        >

        > PS - I am a convert into trying to make a true quality homemade whisky
        >
        > after all of my forays.

        > Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start

      • duds2u
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10 12:00 AM
          Don't you hate it when you have a great reply ready to send and you
          hit the wrong key and lose it.
          Here goes on the second edition. I hpoe it is as erudite as the first.

          I too commence the whisky journey after Harry published
          the "Glenmorangie" papers a couple of years ago. It's been a long and
          interesting journey and I must admit I have enjoyed all of the
          results, some more than others.

          Along the way it became very apparent that using the best ingredients
          and distilling skill are definitely not the only things required to
          make good whisky. Admittedly my skills have developed along the way
          but I still have a small amount of my original whisky left and it's
          not bad (Aussie slang). My notes tell me it wasn't real good at the
          time as new make but 2 years down the track it's "very interesting".

          Where am I going with this, well from my experience and research time
          and oak really do make the differnce. Certain authorites cite oak as
          contributing up to 60% of the flavours of whisky.

          Over the period I have been making whisky I have been experimenting
          with differing oak chip blends (toasted and untoasted) and have also
          used second use oak. It's been an intersting journey so far and my
          personal thoughts on the matter are that less oak for longer is
          better. It allows the complexities to develop without becoming tannic
          or woody while still allowing the malt flavours to impart their
          influence.

          I firmly believe that you have to establish a goal in what you are
          trying to achieve and to accomplish that you will need a couple of
          bottles of "quality control" handy to keep the taste buds on track.
          Just remember that you are not trying to copy someone elses product,
          you're making your own whisky to a style.

          Somewhere along the way yo are going to to do a taste test and
          say "That's getting close!". Here's where you remember Harry's advice
          and run for the notes to see what you did differently. You did take
          notes didn't you. If you didn't and your memory's like mine "What day
          was yesterday?" you have just lost 6 months of resarch.

          That being said I'll go back to your original question of what
          recipe are we using. For me I use a simple variation on Harry's LME
          recipe.
          2 kg peated malt barley (Mashed)
          3 kg LME
          2 kg Dextrose
          Water to 25 litres
          25 gm bakers yeast
          sachet Safale S-04 yeast
          (I have also used Prestige whisky yeast with AG with good results)

          This always works out to a initial SG of about 1.080 and ferments to
          about 1.004. I double ditill in a pot still using feints in the
          spirit run. The spirit run wash I dilute to 27% ABV and make cuts
          between about 77% and 62%ABV depending on the taste and nose.

          I dilute the new make to 63% and do a three month stepped dilution,
          10% per month, down to 43%.

          I am currently using a 60/40 mix of toasted and untoasted oak chip at
          rate of 5 gm per finished product and waiting at least 6 months.

          Patience, Bloody Patience

          This is my take and I'm happy with the product so far but as I said
          earlier, it's journey that I'm enjoying. If anyone has some hints on
          how to improve my method I'd be happy to hear them.

          Cheers
          Mal T.
        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 10 10:14 PM
            Mal,

            Really, *really* a good post, and I'm sure glad you went to the
            trouble to rewrite it. We have a lot in common with our "whisky
            journey" ( I like that description a lot). That said, you answered
            the original question way better than I did, and I'm saving this
            post for references.

            I've got some more replies inline.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            ________________________________
            >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >From: taylormc@...
            >Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:00:22 +0000
            >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Harry (and others)- what is your current malt whisky wash recipe

            >Don't you hate it when you have a great reply ready to send and you

            >hit the wrong key and lose it.

            >Here goes on the second edition. I hpoe it is as erudite as the first.

            >I too commence the whisky journey after Harry published

            >the "Glenmorangie" papers a couple of years ago. It's been a long and

            >interesting journey and I must admit I have enjoyed all of the

            >results, some more than others.

            *** All I can say is, "Yes!"

            >Along the way it became very apparent that using the best ingredients

            >and distilling skill are definitely not the only things required to

            >make good whisky. Admittedly my skills have developed along the way

            >but I still have a small amount of my original whisky left and it's

            >not bad (Aussie slang). My notes tell me it wasn't real good at the

            *** No translation needed for Americans. We use the expression also.

            >time as new make but 2 years down the track it's "very interesting".

            >Where am I going with this, well from my experience and research time

            >and oak really do make the differnce. Certain authorites cite oak as

            >contributing up to 60% of the flavours of whisky.

            ***Whatever the percent is, it's a large one, and seriously important.

            >Over the period I have been making whisky I have been experimenting

            >with differing oak chip blends (toasted and untoasted) and have also

            >used second use oak. It's been an intersting journey so far and my

            >personal thoughts on the matter are that less oak for longer is

            >better. It allows the complexities to develop without becoming tannic

            >or woody while still allowing the malt flavours to impart their

            >influence.

            *** Last week I'd have told you the used oak was better, but then
            I tasted that yellow plum brandy that had been sitting on
            toasted American oak chips for 3 years. I just found a source
            of chips that solves some of the expense; 10 pounds of
            American toasted oak chips for about 27 USD. Looks like I'll
            be doing more ship aging soon.

            >I firmly believe that you have to establish a goal in what you are

            >trying to achieve and to accomplish that you will need a couple of

            >bottles of "quality control" handy to keep the taste buds on track.

            *** Good luck in *that*! The death of a thousand sips.

            >Just remember that you are not trying to copy someone elses product,

            >you're making your own whisky to a style.

            *** To me, this is the best part of your post, and the most important
            to one on the "whisky journey" (I love that expression). With any
            care at all, *all* of your whiskys will be better than *some* of the
            commercial stuff, and it will just get better and your own favorite
            whisky will evolve.

            >Somewhere along the way yo are going to to do a taste test and

            >say "That's getting close!". Here's where you remember Harry's advice

            >and run for the notes to see what you did differently. You did take

            >notes didn't you. If you didn't and your memory's like mine "What day

            >was yesterday?" you have just lost 6 months of resarch.

            *** I'm ashamed to admit I'm kinda sloppy in this respect. I keep
            notes, but I can't always find them.

            >That being said I'll go back to your original question of what

            >recipe are we using. For me I use a simple variation on Harry's LME

            >recipe.

            >2 kg peated malt barley (Mashed)

            >3 kg LME

            >2 kg Dextrose

            >Water to 25 litres

            >25 gm bakers yeast

            >sachet Safale S-04 yeast

            >(I have also used Prestige whisky yeast with AG with good results)

            *** Looks like a good recipe; I distill allgrain just because I brew
            allgrain.

            >This always works out to a initial SG of about 1.080 and ferments to

            >about 1.004. I double ditill in a pot still using feints in the

            >spirit run. The spirit run wash I dilute to 27% ABV and make cuts

            >between about 77% and 62%ABV depending on the taste and nose.

            *** We're also pretty close here.

            >I dilute the new make to 63% and do a three month stepped dilution,

            >10% per month, down to 43%.

            *** Harry got me started doing this. It makes sense, and the end
            results have sure been good. I'll keep on doing it.

            >I am currently using a 60/40 mix of toasted and untoasted oak chip at

            >rate of 5 gm per finished product and waiting at least 6 months.

            *** Interesting. I've never tried blending them.

            >Patience, Bloody Patience

            >This is my take and I'm happy with the product so far but as I said

            >earlier, it's journey that I'm enjoying. If anyone has some hints on

            >how to improve my method I'd be happy to hear them.

            ***Nothing to add, but you've given me some insight and
            confirmation.

            >Cheers

            >Mal T.

            Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
            http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
          • duds2u
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 16 1:31 AM
              > .........I haven't done much whisky lately. Been concentrating on
              other
              > things. But if I was in need of a quick fix, then Dry Malt Extract, a
              > good distillers whisky yeast (there's a few around) and Essence of
              > Peatreek (search it here) would probably be as easy as it gets with
              > acceptable results. Mind you, Glenmorangie it ain't. But it's better
              > than some of the cheap commercial blends.

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              G'Day Harry,
              Care to enlighten us on the distillers whisky yeasts that you have had
              good results with and maybe where you found them if that's kosher.

              The only one that I have been able to acquire down here is the Prestige
              whisky yeast with AG. Mostly I have stuck with bakers and a good ale
              yeast. I have been getting good flavours but losing out on the yield.
              The few times I used the WD yeast I found that I picked up between 2
              and 5 SG points on the fermentation.
              Cheers
              Mal T.