Re: [Distillers] Re:Heat Control

  • Hllrsr
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 8, 2008
      Thanks for the explanation.
      I managed to borrow a friend's scope and found out what why the output from the dimmer made no sense

      The damn dimmer was bad.

      The new one is working fine, and using the calculator on Tony's site as a rough guideline, the control was easy to mark.
      Very time consuming to compare (I did it at 4 different settings), but good enough for what I'm doing with it.

      Thanks again guys.

      Dulcet Brewer wrote:

      One specific element that's been left out of the discussion so far is the fact that any power control circuit can be made to conform to any required load characteristic - simply by changing the function of the variable resistor and/or the capacitor that forms the RC element.

      Assuming we are using a purely resistive load (and a heating element should be) then a
      LINEAR pot(entiometer) will cause the power output of the thyristor/triac to follow the rotary position of the slider. ie 1/4 of the slider's rotation angle = 1/4 power etc.  This also assumes the capacitor has been sized correctly.

      However if the load is not purely resistive (ie there is some inductive or capacitive effect) then a logarithmic pot will be needed to mimic the effect of linearity.  This circuit would also require a substatntial amount of design work to match the R/C network to the non-linearity of the load.
      Hope that muddies the waters further, but the real answer to the original question is that if the load is ONLY a heating element, and if the power output starts at 1 end of the rotation of the slider and gets to full output at the other end of the slider, then it is probably linear.  A good way to roughly evaluate this is to just use a 60 watt light bulb as a load, and slowly wind the pot back and forth.

      DulcetBrewer
      Perth, Western Australia

      Measure, once or twice - cut: mostly.

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 9, 2008
        think this thread maybe coming to an end but before it does I'm sure
        the info on the Triac I used maybe useful, see this link for Data
        sheet: - http://tinyurl.com/656t6z I know this component is probably
        overkill but for the price of the component, the use and abuse it will
        encounter, heat etc. I thought why not the best. I do find the
        potentiometer could be upgraded as the case obviously becomes quite
        warm and effects the cheap commercial potentiometer fitted, (plastic
        shaft etc. although it has lasted several years.

        Re- the choke issue, I assumed it was present just for radio
        interference (please correct me if I'm wrong), I just removed and
        bridged it. As most communication these days are digital I couldn't
        see a problem especially as the unit is only used probably once a
        month for 3 hours, at the most.

        Hope this has been useful and any feedback / knowledge will be
        gratefully received.

        I'm sure non of us are to proud to learn from others J

        Here to help (if I can).

        Bob.
      • Bill Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 9, 2008
          Thanks Bob
          Funny i was looking t the same Tri.... u say several years of operation... not bad for a cheap old pot. Is the value of the pot a 500 K ?
          I promise this is my last question.
          All my Best
          Bill

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 9, 2008
            --- On Sat, 8/9/08, Bill Williams <vipond50@...> wrote:
            > Thanks Bob
            > Funny i was looking t the same Tri.... u say several years of
            > operation... not bad for a cheap old pot. Is the value of the pot a 500 K >
            > I promise this is my last question.
            > All my Best
            > Bill

            For what it's worth, I got the fixin's for 3 complete 30 amp triac controllers from digikey.com for under $30. Even if it doesn't work for that long, replacing it (subject, of course, to one's inclination to tinker) isn't that expensive. Especially if you consider that it may only be one component that fails and needs replacing. At which point, buy a component rated at a higher power and keep on chuggin'.

            I will at least clarify that I haven't taken the time to assemble my rig, but at least that's my theory. Since I now have an outbuilding, I can tinker a little harder and messier because SWMBO will no longer have a conniption when I fire up the mapp torch in the kitchen :) As such, I'll have to test my theory here soon.

            Cheers,
            Trid
          • Sherman
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 9, 2008
              SWMBO = Sherman LMAO :)

              > --- On Sat, 8/9/08, Bill Williams <vipond50@...> wrote:
              > > Thanks Bob
              > > Funny i was looking t the same Tri.... u say several years of
              > > operation... not bad for a cheap old pot. Is the value of the pot
              a 500 K >
              > > I promise this is my last question.
              > > All my Best
              > > Bill
              >
              > For what it's worth, I got the fixin's for 3 complete 30 amp triac
              controllers from digikey.com for under $30. Even if it doesn't work
              for that long, replacing it (subject, of course, to one's inclination
              to tinker) isn't that expensive. Especially if you consider that it
              may only be one component that fails and needs replacing. At which
              point, buy a component rated at a higher power and keep on chuggin'.

              > I will at least clarify that I haven't taken the time to assemble my
              rig, but at least that's my theory. Since I now have an outbuilding,
              I can tinker a little harder and messier because SWMBO will no longer
              have a conniption when I fire up the mapp torch in the kitchen :) As
              such, I'll have to test my theory here soon.

              > Cheers,
              > Trid

            • Dulcet Brewer
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 11, 2008
                Hi Bob.

                Yes, the choke would have been purely for RFI suppression - PLEASE don't let Yodar know you bridged it.  He will have a hernia. (He's hambiased!)

                The pot should NOT need to be a power device.  If the circuit is designed properly, a standard 100-500K 1 watt device will work perfectly

                As an aside, I have found that back-to-back thyristors are much more reliable than a single triac.  It means the circuit is fractionally more complicated ie 2 diacs instead of 1 for reliable triggering, but high wattage tryristors are substantially cheaper than equiv triacs, so there is an offset.

                Love the ref to 1 of my favourite TV chars - Rumpo himself!  Fortunately my own SWMBO is a scotch drinker.

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 11, 2008
                  Just a few notes from experience.
                  The most reliable setup is cascade alternistors. I have built dozens
                  of these capable of 9KW and yet to have a single failure.
                  This reliability comes from the predetermined limit resister that
                  drives the first alternistor in the cascade. Is also allows a simple 3
                  component trigger because of the sensitivity of the first alternistor.
                  The ability to drive a inductive loads without a snubber circuit is an
                  inherent attribute of the alternistor and is a bonus but not needed
                  with resistive heating elements. Larger coiled heating element can
                  have enough inductance to cause a thyristor or triac to not switch off
                  properly.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dulcet Brewer <dulcetbrewer@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Bob.
                  >
                  > Yes, the choke would have been purely for RFI suppression - PLEASE
                  don't let Yodar know you bridged it. He will have a hernia. (He's
                  hambiased!)

                  > The pot should NOT need to be a power device. If the circuit is
                  designed properly, a standard 100-500K 1 watt device will work perfectly

                  > As an aside, I have found that back-to-back thyristors are much more
                  reliable than a single triac. It means the circuit is fractionally
                  more complicated ie 2 diacs instead of 1 for reliable triggering, but
                  high wattage tryristors are substantially cheaper than equiv triacs,
                  so there is an offset.

                  > Love the ref to 1 of my favourite TV chars - Rumpo himself!
                  Fortunately my own SWMBO is a scotch drinker.

                  > DulcetBrewer
                  > Perth, Western Australia
                  >
                  > Measure, once or twice - cut: mostly.

                • Robert Hubble
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 11, 2008
                    Hey Pint,

                    Do you have a schematic? (I'll admit, I had to look up "alternistor".)

                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    ________________________________
                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: pintoshine@...
                    Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:12:39 +0000

                    Just a few notes from experience.

                    The most reliable setup is cascade alternistors. I have built dozens

                    of these capable of 9KW and yet to have a single failure.

                    This reliability comes from the predetermined limit resister that

                    drives the first alternistor in the cascade. Is also allows a simple 3

                    component trigger because of the sensitivity of the first alternistor.

                    The ability to drive a inductive loads without a snubber circuit is an

                    inherent attribute of the alternistor and is a bonus but not needed

                    with resistive heating elements. Larger coiled heating element can

                    have enough inductance to cause a thyristor or triac to not switch off

                    properly.

                    ----snip----
                    Got Game? Win Prizes in the Windows Live Hotmail Mobile Summer Games Trivia Contest
                    http://www.gowindowslive.com/summergames?ocid=TXT_TAGHM
                  • Sherman
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 12, 2008
                      this is the one I use for my kits.
                      http://www.artisan-distiller.org/photoalbum/main.php?cmd=imageview&var1=pint_o_shine%2Flhcontroller%2Flightdimmer_240VAC.JPG&var2=0

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 12, 2008
                        Thanks Pint,

                        Cute, and it looks like you could drive an even larger
                        output alternistor (if they made it in that device family)
                        with that circuit. Is that left-hand device in the same
                        family as the other 2?

                        And did you say you are producing these in kits?

                        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        From: pintoshine@...
                        Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:04:30 +0000

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@ ...> wrote:

                        > Hey Pint,
                        >
                        > Do you have a schematic? (I'll admit, I had to look up "alternistor" .)
                        >
                        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                        >
                        > ____________ _________ _________ __
                        > To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
                        > From: pintoshine@. ..
                        > Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:12:39 +0000
                        > Subject: [Distillers] Re:Heat Control
                        >

                        > Just a few notes from experience.
                        >
                        > The most reliable setup is cascade alternistors. I have built dozens
                        >
                        > of these capable of 9KW and yet to have a single failure.
                        >
                        > This reliability comes from the predetermined limit resister that
                        >
                        > drives the first alternistor in the cascade. Is also allows a simple 3
                        >
                        > component trigger because of the sensitivity of the first alternistor.
                        >
                        > The ability to drive a inductive loads without a snubber circuit is an
                        >
                        > inherent attribute of the alternistor and is a bonus but not needed
                        >
                        > with resistive heating elements. Larger coiled heating element can
                        >
                        > have enough inductance to cause a thyristor or triac to not switch off
                        >
                        > properly.
                        >

                        > ----snip----
                        > Got Game? Win Prizes in the Windows Live Hotmail Mobile Summer Games
                        Trivia Contest
                        > http://www.gowindow slive.com/ summergames? ocid=TXT_ TAGHM

                        Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before. See how Windows® fits your life
                      • Bill Williams
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 12, 2008
                          Hello
                          I have reviewed the different options and some of the individuals have had great success with the dimmer  CKT. Some have cascaded tri's and dia's. I believed I will go with a Zero cross electronic relay and drive it with a simple Dc powered 555 adjustable OSC. Of coarse this is my take, but as i stated I believed this is the simplest and most versatile option, although maybe not the best option.
                          Thank for all the great work Guy's and input relating to this subject.
                          Best Regards
                          Bill