Harry (and others)- what is your current malt whisky wash recipe

  • bordermeister
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
      Hi Harry, I started a while ago and used your simple whisky wash
      recipe with good results, strayed into the realm of clean vodka and
      have come back to true artisan spirits.

      I have made several 'Glenmorangie' clone runs - the latest needs its
      spirit run hopefully this weekend. The latest are getting better but
      are a fair bit of effort/cost compared to your (Harry's) original recipe.

      I now have a nice flavourful feints collection and am wondering if the
      effort of the 'Glenmorangie' clone recipe is worth the cost/effort.

      I realise this all comes down to personal preference, however I hold a
      great deal of respect for your hard earned knowledge, and was just
      curious to know how your current whisky wash is comprised - if you do
      not mind sharing your hard earned knowledge on this.

      Many Thanks
      Mark

      PS - I am a convert into trying to make a true quality homemade whisky
      after all of my forays.
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
        Mark,

        I'm sure not Harry, but I have some strong opinions about what
        you ask, and perhaps some insight.

        First off, any grain whisk(e)y making is a lot of work, and *could*
        be a pain in the ass if you are not either pure of heart or just
        plain simple. By the time you mash multiple low-gravity grain
        washes, maybe with backset, sparge, distill a bunch of those
        washes to get enough low wines, and make cuts that exclude
        a lot of your hard-earned ethanol, you have expended a
        tremendous amount of effort. It seems downright wasteful.

        Commercial distillers have understood this for centuries, and
        many have evolved methods for cheating, chiseling, and cutting
        corners, so they can make more money per batch. Higher ABV
        wash? Sure, hold your nose and do it. Bottle more heads and
        tails? Why not; the Philistines can't tell the difference. (Reference
        here to the great scene in Joseph Heller's "Catch22" where
        the mess sargeant mashes laundry soap into the sweet potatoes,
        and everyone loves it) And of course, if you've cut all those
        corners, you're sure as *hell* not going to age that crap 30
        years.

        On the other hand, as a home distiller, you're not necessarily
        bound to making economical whisk(e)y, and you can decide
        for yourself what kind of whisk(e)y you'll make. You can make
        a hootch as nasty as you want, or you can aspire to ambrosia.
        You may not quite achieve the latter, but the former's easy as
        pie.

        For me, it just never made sense to aspire to swill.

        Last weekend, at a party of a very close friend, we were
        sipping wine on the deck when the cry went up, "Andy's
        bringing out the fruit jars!", and I knew it was my stuff that
        I had given him over the years. In all those jars was a pint,
        half full on oak chips, of a yellow plum brandy I'd made 3+
        years earlier, that had somehow escaped the "death by a
        thousand sips".

        Aged 3 years, I think that is the best stuff I've ever made,
        and rivals the best brandy I've ever tasted (later batches of
        yellow plum never quite stood up to that one). Having done
        that with brandy, I'm sure I can do it with whisk(e)y also,
        but I understand it'll take some effort.

        Anyway, before you start, make up your mind which you want,
        economical whisk(e)y, simple whisk(e)y, efficient whisk(e)y,
        or good whisk(e)y, and then your path will be clear.

        (I have this urge to end that sentence with "little
        grasshopper", but that's just my weirdness)

        I hope this helps.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: bordermeister@...
        Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:32:21 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] Harry (and others)- what is your current malt whisky wash recipe

[...]

        Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start here.
      • Sherman
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
          Well said ZB! Your common sense prohibits you from any political
          position. I always appreciate a good dose of NON-BS

> [...]
          >
          > spirit run hopefully this weekend. The latest are getting better but
          >
          > are a fair bit of effort/cost compared to your (Harry's) original
          recipe.

          > I now have a nice flavourful feints collection and am wondering if the
          >
          > effort of the 'Glenmorangie' clone recipe is worth the cost/effort.
          >

          > I realise this all comes down to personal preference, however I hold a
          >
          > great deal of respect for your hard earned knowledge, and was just
          >
          > curious to know how your current whisky wash is comprised - if you do
          >
          > not mind sharing your hard earned knowledge on this.
          >

          > Many Thanks
          >
          > Mark
          >

          > PS - I am a convert into trying to make a true quality homemade whisky
          >
          > after all of my forays.

          > Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

            > Mark,
            >
            > I'm sure not Harry, but I have some strong opinions about what
            > you ask, and perhaps some insight.
            >
            > First off, any grain whisk(e)y making is a lot of work, and *could*
            > be a pain in the ass if you are not either pure of heart or just
            > plain simple. By the time you mash multiple low-gravity grain
            > washes, maybe with backset, sparge, distill a bunch of those
            > washes to get enough low wines, and make cuts that exclude
            > a lot of your hard-earned ethanol, you have expended a
            > tremendous amount of effort. It seems downright wasteful.
            >
            > Commercial distillers have understood this for centuries, and
            > many have evolved methods for cheating, chiseling, and cutting
            > corners, so they can make more money per batch. Higher ABV
            > wash? Sure, hold your nose and do it. Bottle more heads and
            > tails? Why not; the Philistines can't tell the difference. (Reference
            > here to the great scene in Joseph Heller's "Catch22" where
            > the mess sargeant mashes laundry soap into the sweet potatoes,
            > and everyone loves it) And of course, if you've cut all those
            > corners, you're sure as *hell* not going to age that crap 30
            > years.
            >
            > On the other hand, as a home distiller, you're not necessarily
            > bound to making economical whisk(e)y, and you can decide
            > for yourself what kind of whisk(e)y you'll make. You can make
            > a hootch as nasty as you want, or you can aspire to ambrosia.
            > You may not quite achieve the latter, but the former's easy as
            > pie.
            >
            > For me, it just never made sense to aspire to swill.
            >
            > Last weekend, at a party of a very close friend, we were
            > sipping wine on the deck when the cry went up, "Andy's
            > bringing out the fruit jars!", and I knew it was my stuff that
            > I had given him over the years. In all those jars was a pint,
            > half full on oak chips, of a yellow plum brandy I'd made 3+
            > years earlier, that had somehow escaped the "death by a
            > thousand sips".
            >
            > Aged 3 years, I think that is the best stuff I've ever made,
            > and rivals the best brandy I've ever tasted (later batches of
            > yellow plum never quite stood up to that one). Having done
            > that with brandy, I'm sure I can do it with whisk(e)y also,
            > but I understand it'll take some effort.
            >
            > Anyway, before you start, make up your mind which you want,
            > economical whisk(e)y, simple whisk(e)y, efficient whisk(e)y,
            > or good whisk(e)y, and then your path will be clear.
            >
            > (I have this urge to end that sentence with "little
            > grasshopper", but that's just my weirdness)
            >
            > I hope this helps.
            >

            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            As Sherman has stated, Excellent post Z Bob. I read something the
            other day, I believe it was from Mathew Rowley, Where he stated he
            knew of a hobby distiller that would spend as much as 300.00 on making
            a gallon of Rye Whiskey. At first i thought How in the hell could you
            be spending that much, but if you have tried Making All grain mashes
            from Good quality products it starts to make sense and seem possible.
            Grain from my LHBS run about 1.50/pound. You need 10 pounds or so
            for a 5 gallon mash that will maybe yield 4 gallons of strained (that
            part aint easy at all) and cleared wash ready for the still. You get
            about a gallon of Low wines from that. I have an 8 gallon boiler and
            as you say to really make it worth it, and the cuts you have to make,
            that boiler needs to be full for the spirit run. Fermentation time
            alone for a run like that is close to 10 weeks. I have yet to be
            disciplined enough to do it. And we havent even started the aging
            process yet. One day I want to do a run of malt whiskey like this and
            age it but I just dont have the time and money to do it now. I
            continue to play with grains but I have to admit, Sugar washes,
            reflux columns and Scotch essences have made me Lazy and Happy. I
            have to say though, I feel at times I am doing the Hobby a great
            injustice by taking the easy way out.

            Mason
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

              > Well said ZB! Your common sense prohibits you from any political
              > position. I always appreciate a good dose of NON-BS

              Agreed. There's nowt to add. ZB said it all. <G>

              Slainte!
              regard Harry
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bordermeister" <bordermeister@...> wrote:

                > Hi Harry, I started a while ago and used your simple whisky wash
                > recipe with good results, strayed into the realm of clean vodka and
                > have come back to true artisan spirits.
                >
                > I have made several 'Glenmorangie' clone runs - the latest needs its
                > spirit run hopefully this weekend. The latest are getting better but
                > are a fair bit of effort/cost compared to your (Harry's) original recipe.
                >

                > I now have a nice flavourful feints collection and am wondering if the
                > effort of the 'Glenmorangie' clone recipe is worth the cost/effort.

                .......Only your tastebuds & your desire for perfection can answer that.  What price achievement?  Maybe a comparison with the commercial offerings will be enlightening...

                Glenmorangie, Scotch Single Malt 12Yr ...$79.98 - SF Wine Trading Co.
                Glenmorangie 18year Malt Scotch 750ML$149.99 - Wally's Wine & Spirits
                Glenmorangie Single Malt Scotch Whisky$113.00 - 1-877-Spirits.com

                > I realise this all comes down to personal preference, however I hold a
                > great deal of respect for your hard earned knowledge, and was just
                > curious to know how your current whisky wash is comprised - if you do
                > not mind sharing your hard earned knowledge on this.

                .........I haven't done much whisky lately.  Been concentrating on other things.  But if I was in need of a quick fix, then Dry Malt Extract, a good distillers whisky yeast (there's a few around) and Essence of Peatreek (search it here) would probably be as easy as it gets with acceptable results.  Mind you, Glenmorangie it ain't.  But it's better than some of the cheap commercial blends.

                > Many Thanks
                > Mark
                >
                > PS - I am a convert into trying to make a true quality homemade whisky
                > after all of my forays.

                ................Then accept the fact that there are really no shortcuts to achieving this.  18 yo whisky cannot be made any other way than top quality ingredients, technique and 18 years slumber in a Quercus Alba cask.  If this is your aim, start now, and make enough to sample some along the way (why else would you do it in the first place?).  Whatever remains of it you can leave as a memorable legacy for your relatives to imbibe at your wake.  <BG>

              • bordermeister
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                  Hi Robert,
                  I don't have a problem with all of the work I put in for what I am
                  making, what I was after was (if Harry or others are willing to share)
                  his/their current whisky wash recipe.

                  I have followed all of Harry's earlier posts and learnt a damn huge
                  amount from Harry and yourself. I have no intention of aspiring to
                  swill, I am aspiring to make a nice malt whisky, I was just after some
                  further insight from others.

                  Harry used to make a malt extract based wash, I was interested in
                  after doing the Glenmorangie clone article he had changed his recipe
                  to that, kept his old, came up with a hybrid recipe etc...

                  Apologies if anyone mistook my intent to make cheap swill - that is
                  not my intent, the opposite in fact, but was just intereted in gaining
                  the learnings from others (a sharing our collective hard earned
                  knowledge).

                  Cheers
                  Mark

> [...]
                  >
                  > spirit run hopefully this weekend. The latest are getting better but
                  >
                  > are a fair bit of effort/cost compared to your (Harry's) original
                  recipe.

                  > I now have a nice flavourful feints collection and am wondering if the
                  >
                  > effort of the 'Glenmorangie' clone recipe is worth the cost/effort.
                  >

                  > I realise this all comes down to personal preference, however I hold a
                  >
                  > great deal of respect for your hard earned knowledge, and was just
                  >
                  > curious to know how your current whisky wash is comprised - if you do
                  >
                  > not mind sharing your hard earned knowledge on this.
                  >

                  > Many Thanks
                  >
                  > Mark
                  >

                  > PS - I am a convert into trying to make a true quality homemade whisky
                  >
                  > after all of my forays.

                  > Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start

                • duds2u
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 10, 2008
                    Don't you hate it when you have a great reply ready to send and you
                    hit the wrong key and lose it.
                    Here goes on the second edition. I hpoe it is as erudite as the first.

                    I too commence the whisky journey after Harry published
                    the "Glenmorangie" papers a couple of years ago. It's been a long and
                    interesting journey and I must admit I have enjoyed all of the
                    results, some more than others.

                    Along the way it became very apparent that using the best ingredients
                    and distilling skill are definitely not the only things required to
                    make good whisky. Admittedly my skills have developed along the way
                    but I still have a small amount of my original whisky left and it's
                    not bad (Aussie slang). My notes tell me it wasn't real good at the
                    time as new make but 2 years down the track it's "very interesting".

                    Where am I going with this, well from my experience and research time
                    and oak really do make the differnce. Certain authorites cite oak as
                    contributing up to 60% of the flavours of whisky.

                    Over the period I have been making whisky I have been experimenting
                    with differing oak chip blends (toasted and untoasted) and have also
                    used second use oak. It's been an intersting journey so far and my
                    personal thoughts on the matter are that less oak for longer is
                    better. It allows the complexities to develop without becoming tannic
                    or woody while still allowing the malt flavours to impart their
                    influence.

                    I firmly believe that you have to establish a goal in what you are
                    trying to achieve and to accomplish that you will need a couple of
                    bottles of "quality control" handy to keep the taste buds on track.
                    Just remember that you are not trying to copy someone elses product,
                    you're making your own whisky to a style.

                    Somewhere along the way yo are going to to do a taste test and
                    say "That's getting close!". Here's where you remember Harry's advice
                    and run for the notes to see what you did differently. You did take
                    notes didn't you. If you didn't and your memory's like mine "What day
                    was yesterday?" you have just lost 6 months of resarch.

                    That being said I'll go back to your original question of what
                    recipe are we using. For me I use a simple variation on Harry's LME
                    recipe.
                    2 kg peated malt barley (Mashed)
                    3 kg LME
                    2 kg Dextrose
                    Water to 25 litres
                    25 gm bakers yeast
                    sachet Safale S-04 yeast
                    (I have also used Prestige whisky yeast with AG with good results)

                    This always works out to a initial SG of about 1.080 and ferments to
                    about 1.004. I double ditill in a pot still using feints in the
                    spirit run. The spirit run wash I dilute to 27% ABV and make cuts
                    between about 77% and 62%ABV depending on the taste and nose.

                    I dilute the new make to 63% and do a three month stepped dilution,
                    10% per month, down to 43%.

                    I am currently using a 60/40 mix of toasted and untoasted oak chip at
                    rate of 5 gm per finished product and waiting at least 6 months.

                    Patience, Bloody Patience

                    This is my take and I'm happy with the product so far but as I said
                    earlier, it's journey that I'm enjoying. If anyone has some hints on
                    how to improve my method I'd be happy to hear them.

                    Cheers
                    Mal T.
                  • Robert Hubble
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 10, 2008
                      Mal,

                      Really, *really* a good post, and I'm sure glad you went to the
                      trouble to rewrite it. We have a lot in common with our "whisky
                      journey" ( I like that description a lot). That said, you answered
                      the original question way better than I did, and I'm saving this
                      post for references.

                      I've got some more replies inline.

                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                      ________________________________
                      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      >From: taylormc@...
                      >Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:00:22 +0000
                      >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Harry (and others)- what is your current malt whisky wash recipe

                      >Don't you hate it when you have a great reply ready to send and you

                      >hit the wrong key and lose it.

                      >Here goes on the second edition. I hpoe it is as erudite as the first.

                      >I too commence the whisky journey after Harry published

                      >the "Glenmorangie" papers a couple of years ago. It's been a long and

                      >interesting journey and I must admit I have enjoyed all of the

                      >results, some more than others.

                      *** All I can say is, "Yes!"

                      >Along the way it became very apparent that using the best ingredients

                      >and distilling skill are definitely not the only things required to

                      >make good whisky. Admittedly my skills have developed along the way

                      >but I still have a small amount of my original whisky left and it's

                      >not bad (Aussie slang). My notes tell me it wasn't real good at the

                      *** No translation needed for Americans. We use the expression also.

                      >time as new make but 2 years down the track it's "very interesting".

                      >Where am I going with this, well from my experience and research time

                      >and oak really do make the differnce. Certain authorites cite oak as

                      >contributing up to 60% of the flavours of whisky.

                      ***Whatever the percent is, it's a large one, and seriously important.

                      >Over the period I have been making whisky I have been experimenting

                      >with differing oak chip blends (toasted and untoasted) and have also

                      >used second use oak. It's been an intersting journey so far and my

                      >personal thoughts on the matter are that less oak for longer is

                      >better. It allows the complexities to develop without becoming tannic

                      >or woody while still allowing the malt flavours to impart their

                      >influence.

                      *** Last week I'd have told you the used oak was better, but then
                      I tasted that yellow plum brandy that had been sitting on
                      toasted American oak chips for 3 years. I just found a source
                      of chips that solves some of the expense; 10 pounds of
                      American toasted oak chips for about 27 USD. Looks like I'll
                      be doing more ship aging soon.

                      >I firmly believe that you have to establish a goal in what you are

                      >trying to achieve and to accomplish that you will need a couple of

                      >bottles of "quality control" handy to keep the taste buds on track.

                      *** Good luck in *that*! The death of a thousand sips.

                      >Just remember that you are not trying to copy someone elses product,

                      >you're making your own whisky to a style.

                      *** To me, this is the best part of your post, and the most important
                      to one on the "whisky journey" (I love that expression). With any
                      care at all, *all* of your whiskys will be better than *some* of the
                      commercial stuff, and it will just get better and your own favorite
                      whisky will evolve.

                      >Somewhere along the way yo are going to to do a taste test and

                      >say "That's getting close!". Here's where you remember Harry's advice

                      >and run for the notes to see what you did differently. You did take

                      >notes didn't you. If you didn't and your memory's like mine "What day

                      >was yesterday?" you have just lost 6 months of resarch.

                      *** I'm ashamed to admit I'm kinda sloppy in this respect. I keep
                      notes, but I can't always find them.

                      >That being said I'll go back to your original question of what

                      >recipe are we using. For me I use a simple variation on Harry's LME

                      >recipe.

                      >2 kg peated malt barley (Mashed)

                      >3 kg LME

                      >2 kg Dextrose

                      >Water to 25 litres

                      >25 gm bakers yeast

                      >sachet Safale S-04 yeast

                      >(I have also used Prestige whisky yeast with AG with good results)

                      *** Looks like a good recipe; I distill allgrain just because I brew
                      allgrain.

                      >This always works out to a initial SG of about 1.080 and ferments to

                      >about 1.004. I double ditill in a pot still using feints in the

                      >spirit run. The spirit run wash I dilute to 27% ABV and make cuts

                      >between about 77% and 62%ABV depending on the taste and nose.

                      *** We're also pretty close here.

                      >I dilute the new make to 63% and do a three month stepped dilution,

                      >10% per month, down to 43%.

                      *** Harry got me started doing this. It makes sense, and the end
                      results have sure been good. I'll keep on doing it.

                      >I am currently using a 60/40 mix of toasted and untoasted oak chip at

                      >rate of 5 gm per finished product and waiting at least 6 months.

                      *** Interesting. I've never tried blending them.

                      >Patience, Bloody Patience

                      >This is my take and I'm happy with the product so far but as I said

                      >earlier, it's journey that I'm enjoying. If anyone has some hints on

                      >how to improve my method I'd be happy to hear them.

                      ***Nothing to add, but you've given me some insight and
                      confirmation.

                      >Cheers

                      >Mal T.

                      Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
                      http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
                    • duds2u
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2008
                        > .........I haven't done much whisky lately. Been concentrating on
                        other
                        > things. But if I was in need of a quick fix, then Dry Malt Extract, a
                        > good distillers whisky yeast (there's a few around) and Essence of
                        > Peatreek (search it here) would probably be as easy as it gets with
                        > acceptable results. Mind you, Glenmorangie it ain't. But it's better
                        > than some of the cheap commercial blends.

                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                        G'Day Harry,
                        Care to enlighten us on the distillers whisky yeasts that you have had
                        good results with and maybe where you found them if that's kosher.

                        The only one that I have been able to acquire down here is the Prestige
                        whisky yeast with AG. Mostly I have stuck with bakers and a good ale
                        yeast. I have been getting good flavours but losing out on the yield.
                        The few times I used the WD yeast I found that I picked up between 2
                        and 5 SG points on the fermentation.
                        Cheers
                        Mal T.