Re: Whiskey from corn meal

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8 5:47 AM
      Enzymes do have optimal operating temperatures - this effects the
      conversion rate. But they still convert during fermentation stage also.

      Boiling is used to rupture grain starch walls. This can be done
      mechanically also by fine grinding - this is why yeast acts on a cold
      flour slurry to make bread!

      The no-cooking method is now practiced widely to save energy costs
      although there is energy expended in fine grinding. Look it up.

      wal

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

      > I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think you will get
      > significant conversion by relying solely on a cold enzyme treatment.
      >
      > Yes, I do boil my cornmeal first, then I mash with barley and enzymes.
      > Here is my condensed recipe below.
      > ------------------
      > -Heat 7.0 gal. treated brewing water to 170F
      > -Add 14# cornmeal (160F), add 3 oz. barley (or 1.5 tsp amylase)
      > -Rest 20 min. Keep below 160F
      > -Simmer 15 min. (210F)
      > -Add 4.25# flaked rye. Stir. (206F)
      > -Let air cool (stirring) for 10 min. (195F)
      > -Add 4.5 gal cool water. (153F)
      > -Let cool to 153F. Add 3.25# barley (152F)
      > -Mash 120 min between 152-142F
      > -Chill below 85F, Add glucodiase (6 tabs Beano) or 2 tsp amylase
      > -Ferment on the grain at 75-80F
      > -Strain and pot still 2 times
      >
      > Yields 12 gal (SG 1058). Scoop out 11 gal of liquid off top. Fermented
      > out to 1.000 SG. After
      > straining 11 gal, 9 gallons of 7.8% abv to still.
      > ---------------------------------
      > Todd K.
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
      > <castillo.alex2008@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi everybody
      > >
      > > I plan to make whiskey from corn meal using enzymes to convert the
      > > starch into fermentable sugars. I donĀ“t know however if having a
      > > powder is necessary to boil the corn meal to gelatinize the starch,
      > > since the enzyme may act over this finely divided solid. After
      > > fermentation is done do I have to rack/strain the liquid (i.e.
      through