Re: "On the distillation of rum"

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008

      > 'The Practical Sugar Planter' by Leonard Wray, 1848.
      > Chapter 10,
      > On The Distillation of Rum,
      > pages 390-412.
      >
      > Contains interesting details of 19th century rum distillation.
      > It is interesting to note that molasses then contained 75% sugars.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/5a6g9c
      >
      > wal

      Further info, Wal.  Page 398 says 65% (by parts or volume, not weight) sugar average is the norm...

      <extract>
      The
      planter always reckons one gallon of proof rum for every
      gallon of molasses that he uses. Now if we take common
      average molasses as containing 65 parts sugar, 32 parts
      water, and 3 parts organic matter and salts ; and suppose
      that by careful fermentation and distillation, 33 parts (out of
      65) of absolute alcohol be obtained, we may then reckon
      33 lbs. of spirit, or about 4 gallons ; which is a return of
      about 52/3 gallons of rum, 30 per cent. over proof, from
      100 lbs. of such molasses.‡   This agrees well with the
      planter's calculation.
      </extract>

      [Note:  30 overproof is 130 proof or 65% a/v]

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
        Oops! Skim reading is dangerous! Thanks for the correction.
        Molasses from artisan sugar makers (panela, jaggery) I seem to recall
        is in the higher levels. Modern blackstrap molasses can be as low as
        45% sugars due to greater efficiency.
        wal

        > > 'The Practical Sugar Planter' by Leonard Wray, 1848.
        > > Chapter 10,
        > > On The Distillation of Rum,
        > > pages 390-412.
        > >
        > > Contains interesting details of 19th century rum distillation.
        > > It is interesting to note that molasses then contained 75% sugars.
        > >
        > > http://tinyurl.com/5a6g9c
        > >
        > > wal
        > >

        > Further info, Wal. Page 398 says 65% (by parts or volume, not weight)
        > sugar average is the norm...
        >
        > <extract>
        > The
        > planter always reckons one gallon of proof rum for every
        > gallon of molasses that he uses. Now if we take common
        > average molasses as containing 65 parts sugar, 32 parts
        > water, and 3 parts organic matter and salts ; and suppose
        > that by careful fermentation and distillation, 33 parts (out of
        > 65) of absolute alcohol be obtained, we may then reckon
        > 33 lbs. of spirit, or about 4 gallons ; which is a return of
        > about 52/3 gallons of rum, 30 per cent. over proof, from
        > 100 lbs. of such molasses.‡ This agrees well with the
        > planter's calculation.
        > </extract>
        >
        > [Note: 30 overproof is 130 proof or 65% a/v]
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • anthony547357
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
          This account was most interesting, and ,as has been pointed out, the
          molasses strenth was 75% sugar. This was due to inefficiency, and not
          due to intention.

          I was tempted to read the whole book (without buying it!). The book
          can be completely downloaded in PDF for later reference

          Tony