Re: "On the distillation of rum"

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008

      > 'The Practical Sugar Planter' by Leonard Wray, 1848.
      > Chapter 10,
      > On The Distillation of Rum,
      > pages 390-412.
      >
      > Contains interesting details of 19th century rum distillation.
      > It is interesting to note that molasses then contained 75% sugars.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/5a6g9c
      >
      > wal

      Au contraire, Wal.
      The text goes on at length to refute the 75% claim...

      <extract>
      Avequin gives the following analysis of
      molasses, resulting from canes grown in the rich alluvial
      soil of Louisiana, as comprised in 20 Ibs. : good crystalliz-
      able sugar, 15 lbs. ; salts and organic matter, 1 lb. ; and
      water, 4 lbs. He states the salts to be acetate of potash,
      chloride of potassium, sulphate of potash, biphosphate of
      lime, silica, and acetate of lime. The organic matter he
      states to be gum, or a substance much resembling it, constituting
      about one-ninth of the foreign matters contained in
      the whole.

      According to this analysis, he makes out the good crystal-
      lizable sugar to be 75 per cent. ; the saline matter to be
      4.35 per cent, and the organic matter only .65 per cent. of
      the whole. It appears to me that this analysis must be incorrect,
      to a degree quite absurd
      ; for he gives us all the
      sugar contained, as " good crystallizable sugar :" he can
      discover no uncrystallizable sugar, whilst he declares the
      presence of 4.35 per cent. of saline matter. It is difficult
      for us to reconcile this with what we know commonly
      happens : first, we must convince ourselves that the manufacture
      of the sugar had been perfected under the most
      favourable conditions, in order to prevent the formation of
      glucose or uncrystallizable sugar, by burning or concentration
      at a high temperature. Secondly, that so large a proportion
      of saline matter could exist in contact with sugar,
      without rendering a portion of it uncrystallizable. Thirdly,
      that 4 lbs. of cold water is capable of holding in solution
      15 lbs. of sugar ! ! When we can credit all this, we may
      then place some faith in such an analysis ; but until we can
      reconcile these improbabilities, we cannot but consider it as
      being an unaccountable error
      .
      </extract>

      [Note:  bold emphasis added for clarity]

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008

        > 'The Practical Sugar Planter' by Leonard Wray, 1848.
        > Chapter 10,
        > On The Distillation of Rum,
        > pages 390-412.
        >
        > Contains interesting details of 19th century rum distillation.
        > It is interesting to note that molasses then contained 75% sugars.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/5a6g9c
        >
        > wal

        Further info, Wal.  Page 398 says 65% (by parts or volume, not weight) sugar average is the norm...

        <extract>
        The
        planter always reckons one gallon of proof rum for every
        gallon of molasses that he uses. Now if we take common
        average molasses as containing 65 parts sugar, 32 parts
        water, and 3 parts organic matter and salts ; and suppose
        that by careful fermentation and distillation, 33 parts (out of
        65) of absolute alcohol be obtained, we may then reckon
        33 lbs. of spirit, or about 4 gallons ; which is a return of
        about 52/3 gallons of rum, 30 per cent. over proof, from
        100 lbs. of such molasses.‡   This agrees well with the
        planter's calculation.
        </extract>

        [Note:  30 overproof is 130 proof or 65% a/v]

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
          Oops! Skim reading is dangerous! Thanks for the correction.
          Molasses from artisan sugar makers (panela, jaggery) I seem to recall
          is in the higher levels. Modern blackstrap molasses can be as low as
          45% sugars due to greater efficiency.
          wal

          > > 'The Practical Sugar Planter' by Leonard Wray, 1848.
          > > Chapter 10,
          > > On The Distillation of Rum,
          > > pages 390-412.
          > >
          > > Contains interesting details of 19th century rum distillation.
          > > It is interesting to note that molasses then contained 75% sugars.
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/5a6g9c
          > >
          > > wal
          > >

          > Further info, Wal. Page 398 says 65% (by parts or volume, not weight)
          > sugar average is the norm...
          >
          > <extract>
          > The
          > planter always reckons one gallon of proof rum for every
          > gallon of molasses that he uses. Now if we take common
          > average molasses as containing 65 parts sugar, 32 parts
          > water, and 3 parts organic matter and salts ; and suppose
          > that by careful fermentation and distillation, 33 parts (out of
          > 65) of absolute alcohol be obtained, we may then reckon
          > 33 lbs. of spirit, or about 4 gallons ; which is a return of
          > about 52/3 gallons of rum, 30 per cent. over proof, from
          > 100 lbs. of such molasses.‡ This agrees well with the
          > planter's calculation.
          > </extract>
          >
          > [Note: 30 overproof is 130 proof or 65% a/v]
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • anthony547357
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
            This account was most interesting, and ,as has been pointed out, the
            molasses strenth was 75% sugar. This was due to inefficiency, and not
            due to intention.

            I was tempted to read the whole book (without buying it!). The book
            can be completely downloaded in PDF for later reference

            Tony