Question about yield

  • Lars Norberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2002

      I was running my still back a couple of months ago, and I noticed that the output wasn’t really what I expected.

      The mash was supposed to be around 20%, as I had run it down to somewhere around -10 - -15, but I didn’t really get out more than

      around 10% of the volume put into the still.

      So I was wondering, what yields do you people get from your stills?

      How many liters of pure ethanol should you expect to get from say 20 liters of both 15 and 20% mash?

      What do you get?

      /Lars

    • Lars Norberg
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2002
        Hmmm.. that's quite impressive. I don't even come close to those results
        these days (though I used to get better results half a year ago, but not
        as good as yours).
        I would estimate that I approximately get around 50% of the supposedly
        available alcohol.
        I assume that the mash is 15-20% as I use the specified amount of sugar
        for a 20% mash (using a 20% turbo) and run it until it reads around
        .990.
        I suspected that there might be a leak in the still or something like
        that, but I did not find any.
        If you subtract the heads and tails from those 3 liters, how much is
        there left? Do you keep and use 3 liters or is that the total amount you
        take out from the still?
        Any ideas what could be going wrong?

        /Lars

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
          I use 8 kg of sugar for 25 liters of mash, so according to your
          theoretical calculation I should be getting around 8*610 = 4.8 liters,
          which adds up pretty well to upwards of 20%.
          Of course there will be losses, but is it reasonable to get around a 50%
          loss?
          If I really push the distillation going as high in temperature as I
          possibly can I probably could get somewhere around 2.5-3 liters of
          output from those 25 liters. Doesn't sound too good does it?
          And the mash has to be pretty close to 20% as the density readings are
          low and there is basically no sugar left in it.
          Or could there be a leak in the fermentation vessel perhaps? So that the
          yeast has access to oxygen and thereby ferments the sugar to only water
          and carbondioxide? I do not think that this is the case, but it could be
          a possibility, right?

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
            Lars,

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                And now you are talking about 100% spirits?
                Ok, then there must be something wrong with my process, time for some
                evaluation.

                /Lars

                Lars, with a Still Spirits Turbo Extra, the rule of thumb, when using a
                "Fractionating Column Still", take off half in litres, the weight of
                sugar
                in the wash,ie if you have used 8 kgs sugar, then take off 4 litres of
                spirit.
                Pete

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                  >Looks like you're making the alcohol ok - using enough sugar & getting
                  it >to drop enough SG at the end. If half the sugar was becoming yeast
                  (very >remote chance), then you'd probably notice it from the shear
                  volume of >yeast remaining at the end. But I'm guessing your yeast
                  sediment is only >1-2cm thick (normal) ?

                  Hehe, yeah, I would guess it is about normal. Absolutely not more than 1
                  cm sediment when the rest of it is absolutely clear. This is a possible
                  place of some loss though, as I opened the fermenter lid once every
                  other day to make a measurement of how far in the process I was, and to
                  make a comparison between the different strands of yeasts that I used,
                  so some oxygen may have been available and thereby letting the yeast
                  grow instead of producing alcohol, but it shouldn't have happened to any
                  large extent.

                  >> If I really push the distillation going as high in temperature as I
                  >> possibly can I probably could get somewhere around 2.5-3 liters of
                  >> output from those 25 liters. Doesn't sound too good does it?

                  >No point ruining the quality though.

                  No, I don't use the stuff, it was just to see how much non-water stuff
                  there was in the mash. And it still wasn't much.

                  >Have you checked the still for vapour leaks ? Smell/hear anything ?

                  Yeah, I did a comparison between what I got out + what was left in the
                  still, and it added up to what I put in.

                  >Could the distillate somehow not be dripping into the collection jar
                  but >running somewhere else ? (gees - reckon you'd spot a litre or so
                  puddle on >the floor !)

                  No, not a chance :)
                  And as I did the out vs in check, there just isn't more alcohol in the
                  mash than what I get out.

                  Hmm... the mystery continues :)

                  /Lars
                • Lars Norberg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                    Ok, so around 4 liters of 92% alcohol from 8 kg of sugar.
                    Well, I'm still pretty far below, but not by more than perhaps 1 liter
                    though.
                    But 4 liters of 92% alcohol is a pretty bad result also, as the
                    mash then only would be barely 15%, and it should be closer to 20 than
                    that.

                    Not 100% but bloody close, 92-92% average.
                    Pete
                    > And now you are talking about 100% spirits?
                    > Ok, then there must be something wrong with my process, time for some
                    > evaluation.
                    >
                    > /Lars

                  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4, 2002
                      > Of course there will be losses, but is it reasonable to get around a
                      > 50% loss?

                      No - sounds like something is going wrong.