Re: PDA-2

  • Sherman
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 25, 2008
      You just described how a syrup pan works. The water is evaporated in a
      linear run through a partitioned pan becoming more concentrated as it
      goes, with the sugar rich syrup as the final product.

      The ones with drop flues and a preheater are extremely efficient.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Williams <vipond50@...> wrote:

      > Group
      > Well been considering the
      > analogy "Flash Boiler"....... Perhaps a better choice would
      > have been a bit of a description. Imagine a linear ribbed Heated
      > plate tipped at a slight angle, A liquid with made up of two
      > components is dripped or flowed on the the upper end of the inclined
      > plate. The temp of the plate is so to vaporized only one of the
      > components and the balance is flowed off to a containment ( bottom of
      > boiler or waste ). If the plates are sized correctly the first
      > component will be remove and the second could be discharged as
      > waste.
      > With this type of design the temp would have to be closely
      > controlled and may not be practical for the home distiller, but
      > interesting to say the least.
      > Boy.... I bet i get it for this one LOL
      >
      > Regards
      > Bill

      the water lev is control thru a day tank. The special plates are
      designed for this purpose.
      > Hope this helps
      > Regards
      > Bill

      circuitry inside the

      > rectif/boiler section of amphora's fuel maker as shown in their video :
      >
      > http://www.rebelwol f.com/tas/ Amphora FED 7min Broadband.wmv
      >

      > Im also working on continuous still and i'm telling you this rectif
      >
      > section is very compact !

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 25, 2008
[...]

        My initial perspective of this one is that it parallels the concept of holding the boiler's temperature at exactly the boiling temperature of ethanol and therefore extracting only ethanol from the mix.

        On the other hand, it could potentially be a horizontal analog to the analyzer portion of a continuous still.

        Either way, is that it's only a part of the equation and the other portion is the condenser. If you're running a direct condenser (i.e. condensing all the vapors in one shot) then you have the makings of a pot still and with a column with surface area and reflux will yield a fractionating/reflux still...just with the advantage of a continuous boiler.

        I say go for it. I'm all about the "what happens if I...?"

        Trid
        -what's *this* button do?
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 25, 2008

          > My initial perspective of this one is that it parallels the concept
          of holding the boiler's temperature at exactly the boiling
          temperature of ethanol and therefore extracting only ethanol from the
          mix.

          Which of course is a false premise, and one of the hardest myths to
          dispel in this game. Let me elaborate on why you can't selectively
          extract only ethanol & leave only water by regulating the heat input.

          Both water and ethanol will be extracted at ALL temperatures above
          the freezing point of water. Why? Because moving molecules collide
          and transfer energy, enough to break the molecular bonds
          (aka 'hydrogen bonding') of the water & ethanol. Breaking these
          bonds allows some molecules of both substances to escape to the
          atmosphere. The process is called EVAPORATION**.

          Distillation as we know it is just evaporation (molecular energy
          transfer), speeded up by the input of larger quantities of energy in
          the form of HEAT to move or agitate the molecules. Nearly all
          chemical processing is sped up by heat application. Ask any Chem.Eng.

          The opposite of distilling, i.e. Freeze jacking, works because of
          this molecular process but in the opposite way. In any water/ethanol
          solution, there are three forms of molecular bonding present; water-
          water, ethanol-ethanol and water-ethanol. If this were not so, we
          could never have a pure substance such as water, or ethanol. If one
          substance is immobilised, i.e. frozen (in this case the water, as it
          freezes at a much higher temp than ethanol) then it is possible to
          remove most (not all) of the ethanol from the water.
          You will always have 'some' water and ethanol bonded together because
          the water-ethanol bonds are stronger than the other pure substance
          bonds of water-water or ethanol-ethanol.

          So endeth the chemistry lesson. :)

          **
          Evaporation – The process of turning water to vapour (from a liquid
          to a gas). At 100°C, the boiling point, all water will rapidly be
          turned to vapour, because the energy supplied to heat the water is
          enough to break apart all the molecular bonds. At temperatures
          between 0°C and 100°C, only some of the molecules in the water have
          enough energy to escape to the atmosphere and the rate at which water
          is converted to vapour is much slower. The rate of evaporation
          depends on temperature of the air (an increase of 10°C will double
          the rate of evaporation), and the dryness or humidity of the air
          (drier air has a greater "thirst" for water vapour than moist air).
          Evaporation is an important part of the water cycle.
        • Bill Williams
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 25, 2008
            Thank You Harry
            Gold Stars on the board.

            Best Regards
            Bill

            > My initial perspective of this one is that it parallels the concept
            of holding the boiler's temperature at exactly the boiling
            temperature of ethanol and therefore extracting only ethanol from the
            mix.

            Which of course is a false premise, and one of the hardest myths to
            dispel in this game. Let me elaborate on why you can't selectively
            extract only ethanol & leave only water by regulating the heat input.

            Both water and ethanol will be extracted at ALL temperatures above
            the freezing point of water. Why? Because moving molecules collide
            and transfer energy, enough to break the molecular bonds
            (aka 'hydrogen bonding') of the water & ethanol. Breaking these
            bonds allows some molecules of both substances to escape to the
            atmosphere. The process is called EVAPORATION* *.

            Distillation as we know it is just evaporation (molecular energy
            transfer), speeded up by the input of larger quantities of energy in
            the form of HEAT to move or agitate the molecules. Nearly all
            chemical processing is sped up by heat application. Ask any Chem.Eng.

            The opposite of distilling, i.e. Freeze jacking, works because of
            this molecular process but in the opposite way. In any water/ethanol
            solution, there are three forms of molecular bonding present; water-
            water, ethanol-ethanol and water-ethanol. If this were not so, we
            could never have a pure substance such as water, or ethanol. If one
            substance is immobilised, i.e. frozen (in this case the water, as it
            freezes at a much higher temp than ethanol) then it is possible to
            remove most (not all) of the ethanol from the water.
            You will always have 'some' water and ethanol bonded together because
            the water-ethanol bonds are stronger than the other pure substance
            bonds of water-water or ethanol-ethanol.

            So endeth the chemistry lesson. :)

            **
            Evaporation – The process of turning water to vapour (from a liquid
            to a gas). At 100°C, the boiling point, all water will rapidly be
            turned to vapour, because the energy supplied to heat the water is
            enough to break apart all the molecular bonds. At temperatures
            between 0°C and 100°C, only some of the molecules in the water have
            enough energy to escape to the atmosphere and the rate at which water
            is converted to vapour is much slower. The rate of evaporation
            depends on temperature of the air (an increase of 10°C will double
            the rate of evaporation) , and the dryness or humidity of the air
            (drier air has a greater "thirst" for water vapour than moist air).
            Evaporation is an important part of the water cycle.

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 27, 2008
              I don't think flash boiler works with mash. There will be lots of
              deposit build up on the flash surface in no time.

              Cheers, Riku

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Williams <vipond50@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              > Think of a flash boiler, but the OP temp of 95 C or so. This is why
              the water lev is control thru a day tank. The special plates are
              designed for this purpose.
              > Hope this helps
              > Regards
              > Bill

            • Bill (V50)
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                Hello
                Actually I was describing the flow sheet not for mash... it was for a
                description of a low Cal vaporizer as it were. Harry interjected a
                valued description relating to the water percentages in the evaporate.
                If this flow sheet was to work it fluid to be work would have to be
                filtered to a preset PPM solids. The vapor created (approx 40%
                Eth)would then be worked by the column. Enough !!!!!!
                Let face it the current methodologies needed to reviewed relating to
                energy input can be groomed to be more effiecent... and the boy's in
                New Zealand are progressing with this.
                What was 4 KW and then 2.5 KW to receive the same volume of product
                ????? this was due to the boiler design.

                Regards
                Bill