Re: [Distillers] Boiling your mash?

  • walter jacobson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
      Ups474,
      It appears to me that it is the enzymes that do the work you mention at a
      optimum temp. between 65-75C. By destroying them by boiling (100C) often you
      need to add enzymes later to clear haze. Why 212F/100C? What is inherently
      critical with this temperature? How was it arrived at? Maybe 75C does all
      the things that 100C does! I am just trying to find a rationale to the
      process. No reason to overcook.
      I must admit a rapid cooling of the wort after about 2 hours (75C goes down
      to 65C and then rapidly cool to 24C) by either a chiller or a cold bath is
      useful to prevent contamination by getting a rapid fermentation going.
      I am intrigued that's all.
      Wal