No thermometer?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2002
      Did you ever wonder how did brewers measure the temperature of the
      water for mashing? Here is a traditional method I saw in a recipe for
      Heather Ale - http://www.heatherale.co.uk/html/fraoch/recipe.html
      " - the use of a small piece of fat (animal or vegetable) will
      indicate the temperature:
      solid = cold, runny = warm, small beads = too hot.
      If it gets too hot remove from heat and mix until cooler. Mix every
      half hour, removing the fat with a spoon each time whilst mixing."

      Wal