Tomato paste samogon recipe

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
      See-
      http://www.ukrop.com/ua/kitchen/recipe/drink/spirits/03/recept=1265

      Tomato paste samogon recipe

      1 litre tomato paste
      0.5 litres beer
      10 kg sugar
      30 litres water

      wal
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
        Wal, have you tried this one? A pint of beer seems like an awfully
        small amount to me, for the mash I mean. Well I seldom settle for one
        pint for me own consumption either. Maybe a pound of LME would be
        better in this case?

        Cheers, Riku

        > See-
        > http://www.ukrop.com/ua/kitchen/recipe/drink/spirits/03/recept=1265
        >
        > Tomato paste samogon recipe
        >
        > 1 litre tomato paste
        > 0.5 litres beer
        > 10 kg sugar
        > 30 litres water
        >
        > wal

      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
          >> waljaco wrote:
          >> <SNIP>
          >> Tomato paste samogon recipe
          >>
          >> 1 litre tomato paste
          >> 0.5 litres beer
          >> 10 kg sugar
          >> 30 litres water

          > riku wrote:
          >
          > Wal, have you tried this one? A pint of
          > beer seems like an awfully small amount
          > to me, for the mash I mean. Well I
          > seldom settle for one pint for me own
          > consumption either. Maybe a pound of LME
          > would be better in this case?

          My initial "clean wash" recipie had some
          malt in it. About 2 years ago I posted
          a Q. in the forum asking for any advice
          and tips on it.

          I also had DAP, Vitamin B, Fermaid-K and
          Molasas.

          Harry suggested dropping the malt as I
          should have already had enough nutrients
          with the other stuff and the malt would
          likely just contribute to sulphur smells.

          I did some side-by-sides and there was a
          makred difference. The washes both smelt
          like EC1118 champagne/fruity. However the
          pot still runs of the wash sans-malt did
          smell less buttery (I would have expected
          less eggy with less sulphur but maybe
          my nose is easliy confused)

          After the reflux run I could not tell any
          difference. However as the washes both
          worked as well and one had one less
          ingredient - I have dropped it permanantly.

          So maybe Molasas may be something to
          try instead of LME with the tomato paste.
        • bbornais
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
            How would LME contribute any sulfur smell?

            Bryan.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008

              >>> riku wrote:
              >>> Wal, have you tried this one? A pint of
              >>> beer seems like an awfully small amount
              >>> to me, for the mash I mean. Well I
              >>> seldom settle for one pint for me own
              >>> consumption either. Maybe a pound of LME
              >>> would be better in this case?

              >> andrewm wrote:
              >> <SNIP>
              >> I did some side-by-sides and there was a
              >> makred difference. The washes both smelt
              >> like EC1118 champagne/fruity. However the
              >> pot still runs of the wash sans-malt did
              >> smell less buttery (I would have expected
              >> less eggy with less sulphur but maybe
              >> my nose is easliy confused)
              >> <SNIP>
              >> So maybe Molasas may be something to
              >> try instead of LME with the tomato paste.

              > bbornais wrote:
              > How would LME contribute any sulfur smell?

              I have no idea why the sulphur would be
              there. I am not very smart after all.

              I was just going by what I have been told
              before.

              As I said above - I didn't smell less sulphur
              in the wash without malt. I smelt less
              "butter" in the wash without malt.

              Overall they are less smelly than most the
              turbos I have tried as well.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
                I would be inclined to add some malted grain to a sugar wash for
                nutrients if you do not want to go the DAP + Fermaid way. It seems to
                provide all that is required for beer brewing!
                No,I have not tried the recipe - I am a bit suspicious of samogon recipes.
                wal

                > Wal, have you tried this one? A pint of beer seems like an awfully
                > small amount to me, for the mash I mean. Well I seldom settle for one
                > pint for me own consumption either. Maybe a pound of LME would be
                > better in this case?
                >
                > Cheers, Riku

                > > See-
                > > http://www.ukrop.com/ua/kitchen/recipe/drink/spirits/03/recept=1265
                > >
                > > Tomato paste samogon recipe
                > >
                > > 1 litre tomato paste
                > > 0.5 litres beer
                > > 10 kg sugar
                > > 30 litres water
                > >
                > > wal

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008

                  > No,I have not tried the recipe - I am a bit suspicious of samogon
                  recipes.
                  > wal

                  Wal,
                  Any particular reason? I know that just the word Samagon usually
                  implies that something bad is fixing to happen but that recipe looks
                  harmless.

                  Mason
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008
                    No reason. Looks harmless. Just prefer to use dextrose, S.bayanus,
                    D.A.P. and FermaidK as it no flavor compounds from makeshift nutrients.
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008

                      > No reason. Looks harmless. Just prefer to use dextrose, S.bayanus,
                      > D.A.P. and FermaidK as it no flavor compounds from makeshift
                      nutrients.
                      > wal

                      Here's a little food for thought. If humans are fed a diet largely
                      consisting of beans & eggs, the metabolic byproducts will be less
                      than savoury (easily clear a room). So too with yeasts, i.e. if they
                      are fed a diet of unual things, or overloaded with one thing, the
                      byproducts (alcohol & ester precursors) will be very different from
                      what we would like to drink. Use commonsense and discretion when
                      formulating or judging a recipe.

                      On the subject of Samogon, it's clear from recent postings that that
                      particular homebrew is usually made from whatever is available and
                      distilled only once to around 60% a/v. Methinks I prefer my hooch a
                      tad more refined than tractor fuel. :)