Re: Inactivating Yeast

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7 12:35 AM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headsmashedin" <headsmashedin@...>
      wrote:

      > So, am I to understand that a person in the latter hours of
      > fermentation could put an end to stubborn active yeast by heating
      wash
      > to 60C? At this temp no ethanol would be cooked off? Allow wash to
      > settle and still it. Would this not be a way to help settle your wash?
      >
      > Heads McGoatlick

      Yes. I have written about this some years back. BUT, be aware that if
      you go over 60C then you run the risk of the yeast spilling its guts
      and stinking up your wash.

      Assuming you use your still as a boiler, the correct way to do it is to
      heat the wash (with suspended yeast) to 60C, then let it cool & settle
      overnight, boiler still closed up to prevent things getting in or out.
      Next day is stillin' day. Rack off the cleared wash back into your
      fermenter, clean out the yeast sludge from the boiler & save it as
      nutrients for your next fermentation. Now take your cleared wash,
      refill the boiler and distil it off as usual.

      After strip distilling, you can set your new wort while your spirit run
      and boiler is coming up to temp. Or if you just do one single run of
      the wash(some do), you set your new wort when the still boiler is free
      and you have the spent beer (lees) to cook up the yeast. The strippate
      will be fine until you want to do a spirit run. You can even store
      strippate for extended periods as it is high enough abv to ward off any
      infections. So here's the procedure...

      Wort Set Procedure:
      Use 1/3 of the total hot spent wash from the strip run. Fire the
      boiler, add the previously saved spent yeast and bring it up to simmer
      temp. This will purposely burst the yeast and spill the nutrients.
      Add this mix back to your fermenter and dissolve your sugar. Then add
      cool/cold water to bring it to the right temp and volume. Check the
      pH and adjust it to 5 - 5.5 as necessary. Take and record an SG
      reading. Add any other ingredients you want, stir it all up, pitch
      your rehydrated yeast and stir it up again. Finish off by fitting your
      air pump or airlock as per your normal procedure.

      This is a very efficient way to recycle your spent yeast, your lees and
      streamline your stillin' day. Of course if you don't want to start
      another wort this soon, you will have to save the lees in a suitable
      container and reheat them when you need to.