Re: Inactive dry yeast as a nutrient

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
      That's where I got confused.
      If you want to breakdown the cell contents you need to do it at around
      50C that temperature for 3 days! This can be speeded up to about 24
      hours with added salt or the enzymes papain or bromelain that
      breakdown proteins.
      I gather from other references that you do not need to.
      The cell walls are ruptured at 70C (158F) and your live yeast in the
      wah will gobble the contents up as they have their own enzymes.
      So you can use dry inactive brewer's yeast which is sold as a
      nutrition supplement for people and animals, or heat to at least 70C a
      slurry of yeast from your last fermentation or commercial active yeast.
      Complete soluble plant fertilizer is readily available and so is
      yeast. In combination and with a buffer it should produce a turbo-like
      action.
      wal