Re: Inactive dry yeast as a nutrient

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

      > > See -
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/6at74a
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/6chxeh
      > >
      > > wal
      > >

      > Thanks Wal, The info links you have been sharing lately are GOLD,
      > like;
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/6kqu3d
      >
      > And ones above. Its all good, keep up the good work! It looks like
      > will be changing nutrient recipe
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc

      EEerr, Should I boil/warm the active dry yeast at 45 C for a long
      time, to burst the cell walls and keep the enzymes in tact, or just
      boil it like Harry said? Wal? Or do both and see what happens?

      Cheers
      Marc
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
        That's where I got confused.
        If you want to breakdown the cell contents you need to do it at around
        50C that temperature for 3 days! This can be speeded up to about 24
        hours with added salt or the enzymes papain or bromelain that
        breakdown proteins.
        I gather from other references that you do not need to.
        The cell walls are ruptured at 70C (158F) and your live yeast in the
        wah will gobble the contents up as they have their own enzymes.
        So you can use dry inactive brewer's yeast which is sold as a
        nutrition supplement for people and animals, or heat to at least 70C a
        slurry of yeast from your last fermentation or commercial active yeast.
        Complete soluble plant fertilizer is readily available and so is
        yeast. In combination and with a buffer it should produce a turbo-like
        action.
        wal