Inactive dry yeast as a nutrient

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008

        > See -
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/6at74a
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/6chxeh
        >
        > wal

        Thanks Wal, The info links you have been sharing lately are GOLD,
        like;

        http://tinyurl.com/6kqu3d

        And ones above. Its all good, keep up the good work! It looks like I
        will be changing nutrient recipe

        Cheers
        Marc
      • mavnkaf
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > > See -
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/6at74a
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/6chxeh
          > >
          > > wal
          > >

          > Thanks Wal, The info links you have been sharing lately are GOLD,
          > like;
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/6kqu3d
          >
          > And ones above. Its all good, keep up the good work! It looks like
          > will be changing nutrient recipe
          >
          > Cheers
          > Marc

          EEerr, Should I boil/warm the active dry yeast at 45 C for a long
          time, to burst the cell walls and keep the enzymes in tact, or just
          boil it like Harry said? Wal? Or do both and see what happens?

          Cheers
          Marc
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
            That's where I got confused.
            If you want to breakdown the cell contents you need to do it at around
            50C that temperature for 3 days! This can be speeded up to about 24
            hours with added salt or the enzymes papain or bromelain that
            breakdown proteins.
            I gather from other references that you do not need to.
            The cell walls are ruptured at 70C (158F) and your live yeast in the
            wah will gobble the contents up as they have their own enzymes.
            So you can use dry inactive brewer's yeast which is sold as a
            nutrition supplement for people and animals, or heat to at least 70C a
            slurry of yeast from your last fermentation or commercial active yeast.
            Complete soluble plant fertilizer is readily available and so is
            yeast. In combination and with a buffer it should produce a turbo-like
            action.
            wal