SNIPPING

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2008
      Every so often I see a message exhorting us to use "Snipping" with
      the obvious intention of repeating un-necessary narrative and to save
      space and connection time.

      I couldn't find this title in "Help" and there were no obvious clues
      on on my Vista keybord. So I appeared stuck with goodwill to use it
      when necessary...It isn't mentioned in the the "Step by Step
      instruction book for Vista either.

      So here's what I eventually discovered and hope the following will be
      of use to members.

      First of all does "snip" mean in or out? Usually a snipped thing is
      discarded. Not in our case! The Snip is the paragraph we want to
      refer to with an added, personal comment.

      How to get there. In Vista, click on the double right arrow at the
      bottom left corner (4th to the right).

      Select snip from the three choices. Thereafter, a rubber band appears
      and can be used to loop round the topic you want to corral.

      After this, just experiment to see if it works by sending or
      forwarding messages to yourself.

      Hope this is useful and perhaps comment if it is or isn't.

      Tony
    • Trid
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2008
        > From: anthony547357 <Anthony.Athawes@...>
        > Subject: [Distillers] SNIPPING
        > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 2:09 AM
        > Every so often I see a message exhorting us to use
        > "Snipping" with
        > the obvious intention of repeating un-necessary narrative
        > and to save
        > space and connection time.
        >
        > I couldn't find this title in "Help" and
        > there were no obvious clues
        > on on my Vista keybord. So I appeared stuck with goodwill
        > to use it
        > when necessary...It isn't mentioned in the the
        > "Step by Step
        > instruction book for Vista either.

        OK, call me old school but "snipping" in the context that I've always used means snipping out all the unnecessary stuff and leaving some sort of indication such as <snip> or elipses (...) or some such. This is done manually. Simply delete what you don't wish to include and type a word or two to indicate that the paragraph is not the message in its entirety.

        > So here's what I eventually discovered and hope the
        > following will be of use to members.
        >
        > First of all does "snip" mean in or out? Usually
        > a snipped thing is
        > discarded. Not in our case! The Snip is the paragraph we
        > want to refer to with an added, personal comment.

        Not so...what's snipped is indeed the part that's discarded. You were right in the first instance. The remainder is what's kept. When you see some sort of tag/text that says "snip" that's just to indicate that it's been done.

        > How to get there. In Vista, click on the double right arrow
        > at the bottom left corner (4th to the right).
        >
        > Select snip from the three choices. Thereafter, a rubber
        > band appears
        > and can be used to loop round the topic you want to corral.

        OMFG!!! I can't believe that Vista has taken a basic editing function that relies on the discretion of the user and automated it. Worse, it's led to the confusion of what "snipping" as simple, understood "netiquette" is and rendered it more confusing than it has to be.

        > After this, just experiment to see if it works by sending
        > or forwarding messages to yourself.
        >
        > Hope this is useful and perhaps comment if it is or
        > isn't.

        Tony, it's a great heads up for those who didn't know the function existed in Vista. Sending messages to oneself as a means of testing it out is a great suggestion, too. I'm a huge fan of trying new things out on yourself before putting into practice (booze or text editing :) ).

        Personally, I'm not going to use Vista if I can ever help it. I'm finding that Micro$oft is building more and more and more functions into their operating system to the point where so much functionality is gained at significant performance losses.

        So, despite the stick up my arse about M$, thanks for the info.

        Trid
        -if you don't know how to do something, you don't know how to do it with a computer either
      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2008

          > > From: anthony547357 Anthony.Athawes@...
          > > Subject: [Distillers] SNIPPING

          ___snip___

          > > "Snipping" with
          > > the obvious intention of repeating un-necessary narrative
          > > and to save
          > > space and connection time.

          ___snip___

          ____snip___

          > OK, call me old school but "snipping" in the context that I've always
          used means snipping out all the unnecessary stuff and leaving some sort
          of indication such as <snip> or elipses (...) or some such. This is done
          manually. Simply delete what you don't wish to include and type a word
          or two to indicate that the paragraph is not the message in its
          entirety.

          ___snip___

          > > How to get there. In Vista, click on the double right arrow
          > > at the bottom left corner (4th to the right).

          ___snip___

          > OMFG!!! I can't believe that Vista has taken a basic editing function
          that relies on the discretion of the user and automated it. Worse, it's
          led to the confusion of what "snipping" as simple, understood
          "netiquette" is and rendered it more confusing than it has to be.

          ___snip___

          > Tony, it's a great heads up for those who didn't know the function
          existed in Vista. Sending messages to oneself as a means of testing it
          out is a great suggestion, too. I'm a huge fan of trying new things out
          on yourself before putting into practice (booze or text editing :) ).
          > So, despite the stick up my arse about M$, thanks for the info.

          ___snip___

          > Trid
          > -if you don't know how to do something, you don't know how to do it
          with a computer either

          Very good posting Trid, ____snip___ I agree totally...

          ___snip___

          Vino es Veritas,