Re: Universal sugar mash mark III

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > > I had almost forgotten this experiment. Took SG today and it was 1060,
      > > not good. Took a can of tomatoes, pureed them and mixed to the mash.
      > > It foamed considerably while stirring. This mash is now basically a
      > > MUM so let's see if it starts to work as it should. If not I'll try
      > > pitching some more baker's yeast.
      > >
      > > I think it's safe to say now that some source of proteins is indeed
      > > needed for a mash.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      > >

      > Very interesting Riku,
      > 1.070 to 1.060 in 4 days is not good at all.
      > Please keep us posted. What did the wash smell like with out
      > the tomato. Harsh or fruity? I was also interested in seeing if the
      > tomato's may have also contributed to smell and taste.
      >
      > Mason

      The smell was fruity as usual with baker's yeast. There was quite a
      lot of carbon dioxide in the wash which may have contributed to high
      SG. I just had a look at it and it seems that the fermentation got a
      boost from the added tomato.

      Cheers, Riku
    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
        wrote:

        > > > I had almost forgotten this experiment. Took SG today and it
        was 1060,
        > > > not good. Took a can of tomatoes, pureed them and mixed to the
        mash.
        > > > It foamed considerably while stirring. This mash is now
        basically a
        > > > MUM so let's see if it starts to work as it should. If not I'll
        try
        > > > pitching some more baker's yeast.
        > > >
        > > > I think it's safe to say now that some source of proteins is
        indeed
        > > > needed for a mash.
        > > >
        > > > Cheers, Riku
        > > >

        > > Very interesting Riku,
        > > 1.070 to 1.060 in 4 days is not good at all.
        > > Please keep us posted. What did the wash smell like with out
        > > the tomato. Harsh or fruity? I was also interested in seeing if
        the
        > > tomato's may have also contributed to smell and taste.
        > >
        > > Mason
        > >

        > The smell was fruity as usual with baker's yeast. There was quite a
        > lot of carbon dioxide in the wash which may have contributed to high
        > SG. I just had a look at it and it seems that the fermentation got a
        > boost from the added tomato.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku

        Hi Riku and Mason, Interesting observation about the tomatos.
        Remember Harry's recipe #666, Notes #3 and #4;

        Snip........................

        "#3. Magnesium ions are essential signalling regulators that
        stimulate yeast growth and more importantly, they trigger yeast to
        manufacture enzymes which in turn starts the sugar breakdown and
        conversion process. Magnesium ions cannot cross the yeast cell
        membrane in their existing form. They need available protein to
        combine with as a carrier. When available magnesium is limited, yeast
        shows markedly reduced growth rates. This may be a cause of poor,
        sluggish or stuck fermentations.

        #4. Tomato paste is another source of essential vitamins and minerals
        (particularly vit.C, a catalyst in mineral uptake by yeast). It also
        contains moderate quantities of protein (10g-15g per cup) which as
        mentioned before is essential to magnesium uptake."

        Snip.........................

        I hope this relevent?

        Cheers
        Marc

        Ps. Riku, my AFC stripper still is nearly ready to test:)
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > Hi Riku and Mason, Interesting observation about the tomatos.
          > Remember Harry's recipe #666, Notes #3 and #4;
          >
          > Snip........................
          >
          > "#3. Magnesium ions are essential signalling regulators that
          > stimulate yeast growth and more importantly, they trigger yeast to
          > manufacture enzymes which in turn starts the sugar breakdown and
          > conversion process. Magnesium ions cannot cross the yeast cell
          > membrane in their existing form. They need available protein to
          > combine with as a carrier. When available magnesium is limited,
          yeast
          > shows markedly reduced growth rates. This may be a cause of poor,
          > sluggish or stuck fermentations.
          >
          > #4. Tomato paste is another source of essential vitamins and
          minerals
          > (particularly vit.C, a catalyst in mineral uptake by yeast). It
          also
          > contains moderate quantities of protein (10g-15g per cup) which as
          > mentioned before is essential to magnesium uptake."
          >
          > Snip.........................
          >
          > I hope this relevent?
          >
          > Cheers
          > Marc
          >
          > Ps. Riku, my AFC stripper still is nearly ready to test:)

          Yep, you nailed it Marc. One won't work without t'other. I
          think 'synergy' is the word we're looking for.

          Riku, I would repitch the yeast as you've already stressed the
          original yeast and its action will be unpredictable. Because its
          stressed it will also be making nasty things, so if you intend to
          save the wash from the drain, make sure you only distil it to recover
          neutral alcohol, not for the flavour.

          You guys are doing the right thing. In all experimentation, only
          change ONE variable at a time & then record the results. Then adjust
          the fermentation with what you consider to be the remedy and record
          that also. It's all trial and error, but it's the only way to figure
          out things successfully. Good work.

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

            > Hi Riku and Mason, Interesting observation about the tomatos.
            > Remember Harry's recipe #666, Notes #3 and #4;
            >
            > Snip........................
            >
            > "#3. Magnesium ions are essential signalling regulators that
            > stimulate yeast growth and more importantly, they trigger yeast to
            > manufacture enzymes which in turn starts the sugar breakdown and
            > conversion process. Magnesium ions cannot cross the yeast cell
            > membrane in their existing form. They need available protein to
            > combine with as a carrier. When available magnesium is limited, yeast
            > shows markedly reduced growth rates. This may be a cause of poor,
            > sluggish or stuck fermentations.
            >
            > #4. Tomato paste is another source of essential vitamins and minerals
            > (particularly vit.C, a catalyst in mineral uptake by yeast). It also
            > contains moderate quantities of protein (10g-15g per cup) which as
            > mentioned before is essential to magnesium uptake."
            >
            > Snip.........................
            >
            > I hope this relevent?
            >
            > Cheers
            > Marc
            >
            > Ps. Riku, my AFC stripper still is nearly ready to test:)

            It's bubling happily again, tomatoes did the trick. Do let us know how
            your AFC works. Nykter got into high 80s ABV with his version, but I
            think that even higher ABVs can be reached with longer column and by
            tweaking the sensor pipe length.

            Cheers, Riku
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 4, 2008
              For a sugar wash you need some suspended matter to distribute the
              yeast through the wash - maybe the mashed tomatoes provide that. I
              think turbo yeast is designed to act in suspension mode and does not
              flocculate easily.
              wal

              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Gudday,
              > >
              > > As the quest for ultimate simple sugar mash goes on I started yet
              > > another version. This one is really simple:
              > >
              > > 5 kg sugar
              > > 3 tbsp fertilizer (garden variety)
              > > 2 packs of fresh bakers yeast
              > >
              > > Starting SG at 1070 and 25 liters in total. I added fertilizer untill
              > > the pH vent below 6, it's now in between 5.5 and 6. If the
              > > fermentation does not go well I'll add some tomatoes to the mash but
              > > this experiment shall give us an idea whether extra proteins are
              > > needed or not.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Riku
              > >

              > I had almost forgotten this experiment. Took SG today and it was 1060,
              > not good. Took a can of tomatoes, pureed them and mixed to the mash.
              > It foamed considerably while stirring. This mash is now basically a
              > MUM so let's see if it starts to work as it should. If not I'll try
              > pitching some more baker's yeast.
              >
              > I think it's safe to say now that some source of proteins is indeed
              > needed for a mash.
              >
              > Cheers, Riku

            • keith cottrell
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 5, 2008
                I tried the universal  sugar mash and I turned out the my worst tasting  spirits ever! I have been having problems with my mash and nutrients lately so I tried the miracle-gro It did work as putting out fast ferment time and the amount of alcohol. But it taste bad ran it through my reflux still  and all my good stuff come out tasting like heads but my temp didnt change from 170 till the heads starting coming out and they tasted worse. I havent had a batch taste this bad in the 2 years of me distilling. Is there any other suggestions for cheap nutrients? I cant afford the fermaid K anymore. oh I cleaned my still after the first run and cooked the stuff off again and it tasted the same so its not the still.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@ ...>
                wrote:

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@ >
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Gudday,
                > >
                > > As the quest for ultimate simple sugar mash goes on I started yet
                > > another version. This one is really simple:
                > >
                > > 5 kg sugar
                > > 3 tbsp fertilizer (garden variety)
                > > 2 packs of fresh bakers yeast
                > >
                > > Starting SG at 1070 and 25 liters in total. I added fertilizer untill
                > > the pH vent below 6, it's now in between 5.5 and 6. If the
                > > fermentation does not go well I'll add some tomatoes to the mash but
                > > this experiment shall give us an idea whether extra proteins are
                > > needed or not.
                > >
                > > Cheers, Riku
                > >

                > I had almost forgotten this experiment. Took SG today and it was 1060,
                > not good. Took a can of tomatoes, pureed them and mixed to the mash.
                > It foamed considerably while stirring. This mash is now basically a
                > MUM so let's see if it starts to work as it should. If not I'll try
                > pitching some more baker's yeast.
                >
                > I think it's safe to say now that some source of proteins is indeed
                > needed for a mash.
                >
                > Cheers, Riku

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...>

                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Gudday,
                  > > >
                  > > > As the quest for ultimate simple sugar mash goes on I started
                  yet
                  > > > another version. This one is really simple:
                  > > >
                  > > > 5 kg sugar
                  > > > 3 tbsp fertilizer (garden variety)
                  > > > 2 packs of fresh bakers yeast
                  > > >
                  > > > Starting SG at 1070 and 25 liters in total. I added fertilizer
                  untill
                  > > > the pH vent below 6, it's now in between 5.5 and 6. If the
                  > > > fermentation does not go well I'll add some tomatoes to the
                  mash but
                  > > > this experiment shall give us an idea whether extra proteins are
                  > > > needed or not.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers, Riku
                  > > >

                  > > I had almost forgotten this experiment. Took SG today and it was
                  1060,
                  > > not good. Took a can of tomatoes, pureed them and mixed to the
                  mash.
                  > > It foamed considerably while stirring. This mash is now basically
                  > > MUM so let's see if it starts to work as it should. If not I'll
                  try
                  > > pitching some more baker's yeast.
                  > >
                  > > I think it's safe to say now that some source of proteins is
                  indeed
                  > > needed for a mash.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers, Riku
                  > >

                  > Very interesting Riku,
                  > 1.070 to 1.060 in 4 days is not good at all.
                  > Please keep us posted. What did the wash smell like with out
                  > the tomato. Harsh or fruity? I was also interested in seeing if
                  the
                  > tomato's may have also contributed to smell and taste.
                  >
                  > Mason

                  Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is now at
                  1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through but
                  it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I don't
                  know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
                  whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth knowing
                  that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.

                  Cheers, Riku
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 10, 2008
                    The addition of tomato puree originally came from a Russian sugar
                    based samogon recipe. Their options are more limited. Killed yeast
                    (autolyzed) is a better source of solids and amino acids.
                    wal

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>

                    > yet

                    > untill
                    > mash but

                    > > > I had almost forgotten this experiment. Took SG today and it was
                    > 1060,
                    > > > not good. Took a can of tomatoes, pureed them and mixed to the
                    > mash.
                    > > > It foamed considerably while stirring. This mash is now basically
                    > > > MUM so let's see if it starts to work as it should. If not I'll
                    > try
                    > > > pitching some more baker's yeast.
                    > > >
                    > > > I think it's safe to say now that some source of proteins is
                    > indeed
                    > > > needed for a mash.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers, Riku
                    > > >

                    > > Very interesting Riku,
                    > > 1.070 to 1.060 in 4 days is not good at all.
                    > > Please keep us posted. What did the wash smell like with out
                    > > the tomato. Harsh or fruity? I was also interested in seeing if
                    > the
                    > > tomato's may have also contributed to smell and taste.
                    > >
                    > > Mason
                    > >

                    > Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is now at
                    > 1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through but
                    > it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I don't
                    > know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
                    > whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth knowing
                    > that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.
                    >
                    > Cheers, Riku

                  • jamesonbeam1
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 10, 2008
                      Riku,

                      Again, while providing it with the required minerals, your still missing
                      the needed nutrients from some form of yeast extract or yeast hulls.
                      While Dr. M.B. Raines stated yeast will ferment sucessfully in a glucose
                      / nitrogen solution, he did not state it would ferment fast.

                      You should review some of the nutirents again in commercial yeast
                      nutrients / energizers such as Fermaid K.

                      Hint: Vitamin B-complex, amino acids, lipids amoung other things..

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 10, 2008
                        Yes, I know backset would be good as well as vitamins and stuff.
                        However, the point of this experiment was to find the least amount of
                        commonly available components needed. Other thing of course is that
                        you don't have backset available when you start your first mash.

                        As far as fermaid and nutrients go, I find it easier to just buy a
                        pack of turbo yeast. I may spend a bit more but I get it all in one
                        package and I don't have to experiment. Sugar mash for me is the
                        source of pure ethanol. As most of us are using reflux stills the
                        purity is not that important as we can concentrate and remove all
                        those congeners and higher+lower boiling point alcohols.

                        Cheers, Riku

                        > Riku,
                        >
                        > Again, while providing it with the required minerals, your still
                        missing
                        > the needed nutrients from some form of yeast extract or yeast
                        hulls.
                        > While Dr. M.B. Raines stated yeast will ferment sucessfully in a
                        glucose
                        > / nitrogen solution, he did not state it would ferment fast.
                        >
                        > You should review some of the nutirents again in commercial yeast
                        > nutrients / energizers such as Fermaid K.
                        >
                        > Hint: Vitamin B-complex, amino acids, lipids amoung other things..
                        >
                        > Vino es Veritas,
                        >
                        > Jim.

                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is now
                        at
                        > 1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through but
                        > it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I don't
                        > know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
                        > whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth knowing
                        > that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.
                        >
                        > Cheers, Riku

                      • Andrew
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 10, 2008
                          > riku wrote:
                          > <SNIP>
                          > As far as fermaid and nutrients go, I
                          > find it easier to just buy a pack of
                          > turbo yeast. I may spend a bit more
                          > but I get it all in one package and
                          > I don't have to experiment. Sugar
                          > mash for me is the source of pure
                          > ethanol. As most of us are using
                          > reflux stills the purity is not that
                          > important as we can concentrate and
                          > remove all those congeners and
                          > higher+lower boiling point alcohols.

                          I use fermaid-k and ec1118 so I don't
                          have top put up with the product made
                          from turbos. The lower cost is just
                          a bonus.

                          I have just purchased some uvaferm43
                          and some goferm-protect to see if that
                          can help things out even more.

                          Have not had time yet to do those
                          experiments though.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 11, 2008
                            Urea in small amounts is readily available as a soluble plant
                            fertilizer. If hard pressed use urine.
                            If you cannot 'backslop', do as Harry suggested, autolyze baker's
                            yeast by quicky boiling a slurry to breakdown the yeast cells and
                            release the nutrients. You only need about 1tsp inactivated yeast/4l
                            as a nutrient.
                            wal

                            > Yes, I know backset would be good as well as vitamins and stuff.
                            > However, the point of this experiment was to find the least amount of
                            > commonly available components needed. Other thing of course is that
                            > you don't have backset available when you start your first mash.
                            >
                            > As far as fermaid and nutrients go, I find it easier to just buy a
                            > pack of turbo yeast. I may spend a bit more but I get it all in one
                            > package and I don't have to experiment. Sugar mash for me is the
                            > source of pure ethanol. As most of us are using reflux stills the
                            > purity is not that important as we can concentrate and remove all
                            > those congeners and higher+lower boiling point alcohols.
                            >
                            > Cheers, Riku
                            >

                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Riku,
                            > >
                            > > Again, while providing it with the required minerals, your still
                            > missing
                            > > the needed nutrients from some form of yeast extract or yeast
                            > hulls.
                            > > While Dr. M.B. Raines stated yeast will ferment sucessfully in a
                            > glucose
                            > > / nitrogen solution, he did not state it would ferment fast.
                            > >
                            > > You should review some of the nutirents again in commercial yeast
                            > > nutrients / energizers such as Fermaid K.
                            > >
                            > > Hint: Vitamin B-complex, amino acids, lipids amoung other things..
                            > >
                            > > Vino es Veritas,
                            > >
                            > > Jim.
                            > >

                            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is now
                            > at
                            > > 1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through but
                            > > it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I don't
                            > > know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
                            > > whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth knowing
                            > > that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers, Riku

                          • rye_junkie1
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 11, 2008
                              > Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is now at
                              > 1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through but
                              > it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I don't
                              > know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
                              > whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth knowing
                              > that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.
                              >
                              > Cheers, Riku

                              Hello Riku,
                              What do you think the problem is with the slow Ferment. It is Winter
                              in your neck of the woods isnt it? Could it be due to cold
                              temperature? Or possibly due to the very slow start without the
                              tomato puree? I used Tomato paste and that is really the only
                              variable between our washes. It bothers me a little that I had such
                              a good success with both of my wash experiments (4-5 days) and
                              according to my records you are at day 12 on the ferment and still not
                              ready for the Still. I am really tempted to start 2 washes this
                              weekend and do some more experimenting. 1 with Tomato Paste and Maybe
                              go get a can of Tomatoes from the grocery store and puree them in a
                              blender for the 2nd wash. Set them up side by side and see what
                              happens.

                              Mason
                            • abbababbaccc
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 12, 2008
                                I just checked and it's 1015 and still some foam at the top - still
                                fermenting. The temperature has been at about 20C in house maybe a
                                bit less sometimes which may have slowed things down. Another thing
                                is the brand of fertilizer I used, it's not as rich in nitrogen as
                                the miracle growth stuff. I haven't stirred it either so there's
                                quite a lot of carbon dioxide in the mash which also slows things
                                down. I don't know really, 24h turbos typically take about three days
                                in my place so it may be temperature related.

                                Cheers, Riku

                                wrote:

                                > > Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is
                                now at
                                > > 1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through
                                but
                                > > it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I
                                don't
                                > > know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
                                > > whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth
                                knowing
                                > > that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.
                                > >
                                > > Cheers, Riku
                                > >

                                > Hello Riku,
                                > What do you think the problem is with the slow Ferment. It is
                                Winter
                                > in your neck of the woods isnt it? Could it be due to cold
                                > temperature? Or possibly due to the very slow start without the
                                > tomato puree? I used Tomato paste and that is really the only
                                > variable between our washes. It bothers me a little that I had
                                such
                                > a good success with both of my wash experiments (4-5 days) and
                                > according to my records you are at day 12 on the ferment and still
                                not
                                > ready for the Still. I am really tempted to start 2 washes this
                                > weekend and do some more experimenting. 1 with Tomato Paste and
                                Maybe
                                > go get a can of Tomatoes from the grocery store and puree them in a
                                > blender for the 2nd wash. Set them up side by side and see what
                                > happens.
                                >
                                > Mason

                              • rye_junkie1
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 12, 2008

                                  > I just checked and it's 1015 and still some foam at the top - still
                                  > fermenting. The temperature has been at about 20C in house maybe a
                                  > bit less sometimes which may have slowed things down. Another thing
                                  > is the brand of fertilizer I used, it's not as rich in nitrogen as
                                  > the miracle growth stuff. I haven't stirred it either so there's
                                  > quite a lot of carbon dioxide in the mash which also slows things
                                  > down. I don't know really, 24h turbos typically take about three days
                                  > in my place so it may be temperature related.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers, Riku

                                  20C/68F is a bit low, Especially for bread yeast. I remember the temp
                                  on my washes being in the 79F-82F (26C-28C) range. I would have to say
                                  that in my short time and many washes that I dont have a lot of luck
                                  with temps below about 74F. I use either an electric Heating Pad from
                                  the drug store or if I am fermenting out in my shop I put the
                                  fermenter in a water bath with a aquarium heater. That one works the
                                  best.

                                  Mason