Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 Plant Food ingrediants

  • thewilly789
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
      This is what i have found on Miracle-Gro 24-8-16,I wonder about the
      heavy metals in it.Any comments ?

      GUARANTEED ANALYSIS TOTAL METALS IN PRODUCT
      (%) (ppm)
      Total Nitrogen (N) 24 Arsenic 0.875
      Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 8 Cadmium 0.0583
      Soluble Potash (K2O) 16 Cobalt 0.15
      Calcium (Ca) Mercury 0.0058
      Magnesium (Mg) Molybdenum 0.29
      Sulfur (S) Nickel 0.511
      Boron (B) 0.02 Lead 0.15
      Chlorine (Cl) Selenium 0.875
      Cobalt (Co) Zinc 782
      Copper (Cu) 0.07 The symbol "<" indicates the
      minimum detection limit. The metal was not found at or above the
      minimum detection limit.
      Iron (Fe) 0.15
      Manganese (Mn) 0.05
      Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0005 Waste-Derived?
      Sodium (Na) Micronutrient Fertilizer?
      Zinc (Zn) 0.06 Phosphate-Containing
      Fertilizer Material?

      Found the above at this link -
      http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/FertDB/Product1.asp?action=ViewTable%3Cr=M
    • Sven Pfitt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
        I wouldn't recommed it for making wine or beer even if the amounts
        are sub ppm which will translate to ppb once it is in the wash.

        Since you are distilling it, the metals will stay behind in the pot.

        Lets look at arsnic since it is one of the highest except zinc.
        Suppose you use 20gr of fertalizer in a 20L wash.

        0.875 PPM * 20 = 17.5 micro-gramme of aresnic.

        The one caviat I can see is - if you backset, it will build up over
        time.

        The Zinc is good for yeast, but again could eventually build up to
        the point of being toxic if you backset.

        Sven

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thewilly789" <789willy@...> wrote:

        > This is what i have found on Miracle-Gro 24-8-16,I wonder about the
        > heavy metals in it.Any comments ?
        >

        > GUARANTEED ANALYSIS TOTAL METALS
        IN PRODUCT
        > (%)
        (ppm)
        > Total Nitrogen (N) 24 Arsenic 0.875
        > Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 8 Cadmium
        0.0583
        > Soluble Potash (K2O) 16 Cobalt 0.15
        > Calcium (Ca) Mercury
        0.0058
        > Magnesium (Mg) Molybdenum
        0.29
        > Sulfur (S) Nickel 0.511
        > Boron (B) 0.02 Lead 0.15
        > Chlorine (Cl) Selenium
        0.875
        > Cobalt (Co) Zinc 782
        > Copper (Cu) 0.07 The symbol "<" indicates the
        > minimum detection limit. The metal was not found at or above the
        > minimum detection limit.
        > Iron (Fe) 0.15
        > Manganese (Mn) 0.05
        > Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0005 Waste-
        Derived?
        > Sodium (Na) Micronutrient
        Fertilizer?
        > Zinc (Zn) 0.06 Phosphate-Containing
        > Fertilizer Material?

        > Found the above at this link -
        > http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/FertDB/Product1.asp?
        action=ViewTable%3Cr=M

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008

          Welp Willy,

          What my box of Miracle-Gro says is:

          Ingredients in Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 (NPK) Water Soluble All Purpose
          Plant Food (fertilizer), Available anywhere:

          Nitrogen (N) - 24% (3.5% Ammoninacal N, 20.5% Urea N)
          Available Phosphate (P) (P2O5) - 8%
          Soluble Potash (K) (K2O) - 16%
          Boron (B) - .02%
          Copper (Cu) - .07%
          Iron (Fe) - .15%
          Manganese (Mn) - .05%
          Molybdenum (Mo) - .0005%
          Zinc (Zn) - .06%

          Derived from: Ammonuium Sulfate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium
          Chloride,Urea, Urea Phosphate, Boric Acid, Copper Sulfate, Iron EDTA,
          Manganese EDTA, Sodium Molybdate, and Zink Sulfate.
          see: http://www.regulatory-info-sc.com

          Im not sure what you mean by heavy metals and if they distill out - are you talking about Molybdenum (Mo)?

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
            The posting somehow distorted the table that i tried to post,looked ok
            in preview but was distorted in actual post.

            heres the metals that it contains in ppm.If they stay in the bottom of
            boiler its ok,but not ok if they end up in final product i would think.
            Also this isn't from miracle grow,this is from an ANALYSIS of the
            product Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 .I'm sure miracle grow doesn't want the
            heavy metals that its product contains to show on its label,since its
            not good marketing

            TOTAL METALS IN PRODUCT
            (ppm)
            Arsenic 0.875
            Cadmium 0.0583
            Cobalt 0.15
            Mercury 0.0058
            Molybdenum 0.29
            Nickel 0.511
            Lead 0.15
            Selenium 0.875
            Zinc 782

            > Welp Willy,
            >
            > What my box of Miracle-Gro says is:
            >
            > Ingredients in Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 (NPK) Water Soluble All Purpose
            > Plant Food (fertilizer), Available anywhere:
            >
            > Nitrogen (N) - 24% (3.5% Ammoninacal N, 20.5% Urea N)
            > Available Phosphate (P) (P2O5) - 8%
            > Soluble Potash (K) (K2O) - 16%
            > Boron (B) - .02%
            > Copper (Cu) - .07%
            > Iron (Fe) - .15%
            > Manganese (Mn) - .05%
            > Molybdenum (Mo) - .0005%
            > Zinc (Zn) - .06%
            >
            > Derived from: Ammonuium Sulfate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium
            > Chloride,Urea, Urea Phosphate, Boric Acid, Copper Sulfate, Iron EDTA,
            > Manganese EDTA, Sodium Molybdate, and Zink Sulfate.
            > see: http://www.regulatory-info-sc.com
            > <http://www.regulatory-info-sc.com>
            >

            > Im not sure what you mean by heavy metals and if they distill out - are
            > you talking about Molybdenum (Mo)?
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim.

          • Brad
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
              Has anyone had any experience with using Miracle Gro with an
              AmazingStill type setup? I wouldn't think the metals would transfer
              but would settle there as well. Just curious. Thanks.

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
                In principle amazing stills is just a slow potstill that gives you
                less tails than usual. Unless you boil the mash by mistake those
                nasties stay in the mash bucket.

                Cheers, Riku