Banana Rum

  • diskmaster23
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2008
      I recently obtained a bag of dried molasses (the good kind), however I
      had been using the liquid kind for the longest time.

      I decided to mix up bananas and molasses together to make a mash. I am
      looking for feedback on what improvements/suggestions to my process.
      I will describe in detail what I did. The only thing is, I have not
      ran the product through the still yet, so I don't know how the
      finished product tastes. Well, here goes.

      Filled the boiler with 5 gallons of water and brought it to boil.
      I started with two bundles of bananas. I peeled them and cut them into
      smaller pieces. Placed the cut bananas into a double layer cheese
      cloth. I placed the bag of bananas into the boiler and boiled them
      for two hours then took the bag out into a clean bowl for it to cool
      off, once cooled off I squeezed out what I could. Mixed in 7 ounces of
      lemon juice. Mixed in 8 pounds of white sugar. Mixed in 6 cups of
      dried molasses and cooked for another hour. After cooling down, I
      filtered out all the fiber and other crap. I took a specific gravity
      measurement and it measured at 1.090.

      That is all I have for now.

      Disk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2008
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...>
        wrote:

        > I recently obtained a bag of dried molasses (the good kind),
        however I
        > had been using the liquid kind for the longest time.
        >
        > I decided to mix up bananas and molasses together to make a mash. I
        am
        > looking for feedback on what improvements/suggestions to my
        process.
        > I will describe in detail what I did. The only thing is, I have not
        > ran the product through the still yet, so I don't know how the
        > finished product tastes. Well, here goes.
        >
        > Filled the boiler with 5 gallons of water and brought it to boil.
        > I started with two bundles of bananas. I peeled them and cut them
        into
        > smaller pieces. Placed the cut bananas into a double layer cheese
        > cloth. I placed the bag of bananas into the boiler and boiled them
        > for two hours then took the bag out into a clean bowl for it to cool
        > off, once cooled off I squeezed out what I could. Mixed in 7 ounces
        of
        > lemon juice. Mixed in 8 pounds of white sugar. Mixed in 6 cups of
        > dried molasses and cooked for another hour. After cooling down, I
        > filtered out all the fiber and other crap. I took a specific gravity
        > measurement and it measured at 1.090.
        >
        > That is all I have for now.
        >
        > Disk

        Why didn't you just make a standard sugar or sugar/molasses wash,
        then strip it, mascerate the pulped bananas for several days and
        redistil it? Saves a lot of bother, same result...Banana schnapps if
        clear, or banana rum if artificially coloured.

        Your starting SG will be innacurate because of the solids. Easier to
        work on the sugar equivalent values ie, weight of sugar, 1/2 weight
        of molasses, forget calculating the bananas contribution
        (negligible). Figure 1 litre of drinkable product @ 40-43% a/v when
        finished and cut with distilled or mineral water to drinking
        strength. This is a more reliable guide when dealing with adjuncts
        (fruits & grains) and sugar wash combinations in small quantities.

      • diskmaster23
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2008

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently obtained a bag of dried molasses (the good kind),
          > however I
          > > had been using the liquid kind for the longest time.
          > >
          > > I decided to mix up bananas and molasses together to make a mash. I
          > am
          > > looking for feedback on what improvements/suggestions to my
          > process.
          > > I will describe in detail what I did. The only thing is, I have not
          > > ran the product through the still yet, so I don't know how the
          > > finished product tastes. Well, here goes.
          > >
          > > Filled the boiler with 5 gallons of water and brought it to boil.
          > > I started with two bundles of bananas. I peeled them and cut them
          > into
          > > smaller pieces. Placed the cut bananas into a double layer cheese
          > > cloth. I placed the bag of bananas into the boiler and boiled them
          > > for two hours then took the bag out into a clean bowl for it to cool
          > > off, once cooled off I squeezed out what I could. Mixed in 7 ounces
          > of
          > > lemon juice. Mixed in 8 pounds of white sugar. Mixed in 6 cups of
          > > dried molasses and cooked for another hour. After cooling down, I
          > > filtered out all the fiber and other crap. I took a specific gravity
          > > measurement and it measured at 1.090.
          > >
          > > That is all I have for now.
          > >
          > > Disk
          > >

          > Why didn't you just make a standard sugar or sugar/molasses wash,
          > then strip it, mascerate the pulped bananas for several days and
          > redistil it? Saves a lot of bother, same result...Banana schnapps if
          > clear, or banana rum if artificially coloured.
          >

          > Your starting SG will be innacurate because of the solids. Easier to
          > work on the sugar equivalent values ie, weight of sugar, 1/2 weight
          > of molasses, forget calculating the bananas contribution
          > (negligible). Figure 1 litre of drinkable product @ 40-43% a/v when
          > finished and cut with distilled or mineral water to drinking
          > strength. This is a more reliable guide when dealing with adjuncts
          > (fruits & grains) and sugar wash combinations in small quantities.
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Sounds good. I like the mascerate process better and I'll probably get
          better flavors out of it. I might do that after I finish this batch.
          Is it acceptable to add more water to the mascerated product to make
          sure that it actually distills? I use electric elements in my still.

          Disk