Solar Still

    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 28, 2008
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 28, 2008
        More serious work -

        http://tinyurl.com/4tx2cd

        wal

        > Here is some serious work -
        >
        > http://nariphaltan.virtualave.net/ethanoldist.pdf
        > http://www.nariphaltan.org/solarstill.pdf
        >
        > wal

      • Jim Creighton
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
          Solar distillation of ethanol for fuel:

          They could substitute their too-small water cooled 1"D column with a 2"D air cooled version.

          Jim
        • Jim Creighton
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 11 6:48 AM
             Some more thoughts on solar power for hobby or small scale distillation.

            It is not cost effective to power a still using photoelectric cells. Unless you already have a large array for other purposes and can divert power for a run.
            Likewise wind generators.
            Flat plate collectors or evacuated tube collectors would be more cost effective but still very expensive for amateur distillation. Perhaps we will see this method used in commercial artisan outfits.
            For amateur distillation I think a more direct use of solar power is in order.

            This patented system   http://www.google.com/patents?id=GsU6AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=solar+distillation+ethanol&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1_1#PPA4,M1  looked interesting at first but a reading of the document reveals that the developers do not cite trials with sunlight, just electricity. There is no provision for tracking nor are there any mirrors to increase solar input.

            This system is more in more workable:  http://www.heliotrack.com/Solar-Ethanol.html   I corresponded with the developer. It uses a small solar cell to power a tracking device.The wash is heated directly in the heating element. Another way would be to heat oil and route it through a coil in the boiler, or as Riku suggested, route it through an oil bath in a bain marie. That way, there is less likelihood of surging on a cloudy day. He also suggested an AFC-ARC column.

             A worthy goal would be a air-cooled, non-electric still for third world, off-grid or otherwise isolated places. I think one could devise a completely mechanical tracking device using a water clock. E.g. http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Tracking
            See also this "clock based dripper tracker" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL14kpcR8yw

            Perhaps one could use a large Fresnal lens such as http://cgi.ebay.com/50-framed-FRESNEL-LENS-linear-solar-water-heater-OVEN_W0QQitemZ170226054124QQihZ007QQcategoryZ67919QQcmdZViewItem  focused  by sun tracker on a heat exchanger like the Heliotrack.com device or directly on a small AFC boiler or bain marie.

            Cheers, Jim