universal sugar mash

  • bobcrowder2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2008
      I am wondering about the Miracle Grow in the mix. Some time back I was
      looking at hydroponic gardening and liquid fertilizers. Everything you
      find in Miracle grow can be bought by the individual chemical in a more
      soluable form from the hydroponic sites. I have a feeling that by
      changing the chemical additions you will change the overall end taste.
      I am thinking one could eliminate much of what is in Miracle Grow and
      put just the necessary nutrients in? I guess that defeats the pure
      purpose of universal mash but would work toward a super home mash that
      gets the highest marks for flavor and ABV.
      The reason I use alfalfa is that it is the highest mineral containing
      plant and is bestowed with numerous enzyemes to digest lipid, protein
      and carbohydrate. It also gives a bit of structure to the mix for the
      yeast to cling to. If it is fresh dried and green it will be about 20%
      protien or have a large amount of available nitrogen/ammonia for the
      yeast to feed on. Just a thought on country mash. Bob c