RE: [Distillers] Re: My new false bottom.

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008

      Shine Maker,

      My still has about a 7 3/4" (~19.7 cm) opening when I take the
      cap/column off, and the 2 false bottom halves just barely fit
      through that. (Stop snickering, Trid!) The spacer assembly that
      holds the false bottom off of the real bottom is made up of 6
      stainless pieces slotted together. It takes a couple of tries to
      assemble it, at arm's length, and without being able to see it.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      ________________________________

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: shine.maker@...
      Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:21:54 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: My new false bottom.

      You must be using the multi-piece setup, what is the minimum keg
      opening? My setup uses a 4" tri-clamp fitting so I think I am out of
      luck.

      I saw a post here about using double boiler and pressure cooker style
      pressure relief valve and that is what I really want to make. I know
      a welder and I am trying to set up a system where I have a straight
      walled keg (most newer ones) cut in half. Then a keg that has a
      smaller diameter top and bottom sections with a thicker middle section
      (some older style kegs) will be inserted so that the two pieces can be
      welded together creating a double boiler. I have the kegs I just need
      the welder to get thirsty.
      -Shine

      > Until I got the hang of it, assembling it in the keg was like
      building a ship in a (non-transparent) bottle. I was humbled.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      The i’m Talkathon starts 6/24/08.  For now, give amongst yourselves. Learn More