RE: [Distillers]valved reflux

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2002
      > TWO QUICK QUESTIONS
      >
      > 1 WOULD 1 1/4" I.D. [ONE AND ONE QUARTER INCH] COPPER TUBE
      > FIVE FEET LONG
      > PACKED WITH STAINLESS STEEL SCRUBBERS FOR ABOUT FOUR FEET BE
      > GOOD ON A VALVED
      > REFLUX STILL?

      sounds good. How much heat are you using ? You dont really want to go too far above about 1250W for a 1.25 inch column.

      > 2 IF YOU RUN A VALVED REFLUX STILL WITH THE FEFLUX VALVE
      > CLOSED, ISN'T THAT
      > BASICALLY A POT STILL

      if closed, all the reflux will flow back down the column, thus it would be in total reflux. To be like a pot still, you need the valve fully open (then none of it gets to go back over the packing etc)

      Tony