Re: Sugar Mill closed after explosion - Queensland (Australia)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2008
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kegs <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

      > May affect supplies up your way Harry.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?vd7
      >

      > Ian...

      Yeah, sad that. That Brandon mill is about 5 hours drive south of
      me. I live in the center of and within 90 minutes drive of 6 sugar
      mills. This year, crush estimates are (crush starts in a few days)...

      Mossman... 558,000 tonnes
      Mulgrave... 1.15 million tonnes
      Babinda... 700,000 tonnes
      Tablelands... 680,000 tonnes
      Tully... 1.925 million tonnes
      South Johnstone... 1.23 million tonnes

      That works out at nearly 1 million tonnes of raw sugar once
      processed, worth about a Billion dollars.

      So there'll be no shortage of raw sugar or molasses. :)
      Pity I can't convince the 'powers-that-be' to let me start up a rum
      distillery. It'd beat the sh!t out of fuel ethanol as a 'value-
      added' product. Compare $30 per litre for rum to $1.20 per litre for
      fuel ethanol. Retail prices of course. A no-brainer if you ask me.