Re: Fermentation adding Carbon

  • mattdistiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2002
      --- In Distillers@y..., "charles55me" <billie6@b...> wrote:
      > My local brew shop has started selling 1kg sugar packs with
      activated
      > carbon mixed in to soak up the nasties during fermentation. Has
      > anyone tried this? What sort of results could one expect or is this
      > bit of a gimmick?

      I think there was a bit of a discussion about this a while back??
      (Anyone remember what was the general opinion).

      From a personal perspective (this is just my random thoughts) I would
      be dubious about what could be achieved by adding carbon to the
      wash. I would think that the process of distillaton would be pretty
      good at purifying the wash, and that the small amount of carbon that
      was added with the sugar would probably be bound up with impurities
      in the water, and/or sugars. Whether these would actually transfer
      into the final product anyway I don't know, but doubt it.

      I think there is more to be gained by using quality sugar supplies,
      water supplies, yeasts and fermentation control than there is through
      the addition of carbon to the wash.

      I would also like to know how much impurities are added to the wash
      with the carbon - I'm guessing (thats a guess!) that it isn't washed
      as we would wash it for filtering before it is added to the sugar -
      more likely just tipped in with the sugar?

      In my opinion, the carbon should be used in treating the product, not
      in treating the unpurified wash.

      Matt