Re: design

  • mattdistiller
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2002
      > > Is this a bit basic or would B be a better option
      > Nah - looks great as it is. The only reason mine looks like "B"
      was
      > because we used a T joint there. But its just dead space doing
      nothing but
      > holding a cork.

      I don't know whether I would agree that it is dead space - I thought
      the idea of the extra height was so that the base of the thermometer
      (or probe) was at the same height as the base of the condenser, so
      that you were measuring the temperature of the vapour at the same
      height as the vapour you were condesing. Otherwise, surely you would
      be measuring the temperature of vapour lower in the column than is
      actually being condensed/used? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong
      on this.

      > Condensor Length - you want at least 10-12 foot of coiled tube
      inside
      > there. Make the coil first, then just have that outer length to
      suit.

      Yep! I see you are using the photos of my still - I went seriously
      overkill on the condenser size - I think I could reduce it safely by
      a third. The reason I initially made it so big is that our cold tap
      water is 29 degrees C! So I went on the side of caution. However in
      reality, all that get used is the bottom 12 coils, and the inside
      bottom 1 coil.

      Matt
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2002
        > I don't know whether I would agree that it is dead space - I thought
        > the idea of the extra height was so that the base of the thermometer
        > (or probe) was at the same height as the base of the condenser, so
        > that you were measuring the temperature of the vapour at the same
        > height as the vapour you were condesing. Otherwise, surely you would
        > be measuring the temperature of vapour lower in the column than is
        > actually being condensed/used? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong
        > on this.

        Once the vapour has left the packing, its not going to be doing a lot more
        purifying. So it wont be changing composition, nor temperature. So
        hopefully (?) all that vapour anywhere in that head is at the same
        temperature.

        Tony
      • Bennett, Mark E [TES]
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2002
          The thing that I would pay close attention to in either of the designs is to
          how the refluxed liquid is distributed over the packing, the trick is get it
          as even as possible. If you get this right your purity and flow rates will
          be very good. If you get it wrong your purity will be poor for even very
          low flow rates. For the column height the longer the better although you
          need to keep the whole thing insulated. I personally run a 2m column and
          have found that my output flow rate quadrupled for the same quality over a 1
          m column.

          > > Is this a bit basic or would B be a better option
          > Nah - looks great as it is. The only reason mine looks like "B"
          was
          > because we used a T joint there. But its just dead space doing
          nothing but
          > holding a cork.

          I don't know whether I would agree that it is dead space - I thought
          the idea of the extra height was so that the base of the thermometer
          (or probe) was at the same height as the base of the condenser, so
          that you were measuring the temperature of the vapour at the same
          height as the vapour you were condesing. Otherwise, surely you would
          be measuring the temperature of vapour lower in the column than is
          actually being condensed/used? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong
          on this.

          > Condensor Length - you want at least 10-12 foot of coiled tube
          inside
          > there. Make the coil first, then just have that outer length to
          suit.

          Yep! I see you are using the photos of my still - I went seriously
          overkill on the condenser size - I think I could reduce it safely by
          a third. The reason I initially made it so big is that our cold tap
          water is 29 degrees C! So I went on the side of caution. However in
          reality, all that get used is the bottom 12 coils, and the inside
          bottom 1 coil.

          Matt

        • klcampbell
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1 2:21 AM
            G'day Tony,the temperature will only be at the same temp.if the thermometer is in the moving stream of vapour.I made sure of placing my thermocouple and thermometer at exactly the same level within the vapour stream to get the right control of the system.(not the first few times I ran) but then I noticed a lag between the thermometer and the PID controller.It was at this time I purchased a digital thermometer which updates its reading every few seconds and now it precedes the controller by about half a degree if there is any change of composition of the vapour.
            Regards,Ken.