Flower power

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      Rose petals for a 'Rosolio' and violets for 'Parfait Amour' were
      mentioned earlier. The 'Parfait Amour' is colored blue. I looked up
      my herb book and found that 'Cornflower' flowers (Centaurea cyanus)
      and the stems and leaves of 'Meadowsweet' (Filipendula ulmaria) will
      give a natural blue color. I gather then that violets themselves will
      not, and steeping for 5 minutes is sufficient for flavoring purposes.
      Meadowsweet roots will also give black, while the tops a green-yellow.
      Other aromatic flowers mentioned in recipes are jasmine, orange
      blossom, elderflower, rosemary flowers, and lavender flowers. About
      11/2 cups of flowers for 11/2 cups alcohol seems to be the norm.

      Wal