RE: Glass carboy still (2)

  • D. C.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      <<<< Not sure a carboy would withstand direct heat too well. The best way to
      heat it would be in an oil bath. A water bath would require constant
      addition of water that has evaporated away and much more heat. >>>>

      What type of oil would you suggest in this situation?

      <<<< Yes, a column *could* be attached with a rubber bung in the form of a
      cork still, but ground glass joints would be very much better. The best
      solution would be to use a large pyrex boiling flask and a vigreux column
      with glass joints. >>>>

      Yes, it is understood that ground glass joints would be best, as would a
      Pyrex flask and a Vigreux column. But the topic came up because someone was
      interested in using a 3 US gal. glass carboy for a boiler. Also, the
      interest was to use economic and "common" materials. So, with that in mind,
      the materials should be something that is reliable and yet easy to find
      without much cost.

      My concern with using a rubber bung is, as stated in my original post, is
      the leaching of flavors and chemicals. I don't know that this is a real
      problem, and I was hoping to hear from the members that are more chemically
      incline to know such an answer. (I'm not stating, nor implying, that you do
      not know such an answer.)

      My concern for the potential problems from rubber stems from conversations
      on the distillers lists, about the different materials that have leached off
      flavors and chemicals into the spirit, and by something noted in the book
      "The Compleat Distiller," in Chapter 4, page 43 (in the e-book version),
      under the heading of "Seals." In this section it states that "For all other
      joints and sealing points, using ordinary rubber for seals is out!" They go
      one to state that hot ethanol vapor can easily leach off flavors and
      chemicals from rubber seals. Then they go on to say that the product
      "Nitrile" is inert to hot ethanol. Now this leads me to the questions of:
      What are the bungs that I'm using currently to hold my air locks made out
      of, and what forms or fashions does this inert product of "Nitrile" come in
      (i.e. does it come in the shape of "bungs," is it only a flat "O" ring, or
      is it a "tape-like" product -- like Teflon's plumber's tape) ?

      Thank you for your comments and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated.

      Your Brother in Spirit,
      Rev. David M. Cunningham
      email@...

      NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
      intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
      which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
      otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
      transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
      forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
      telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.