Re: Carbon Filtering Question

  • brown_ion
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2008
      mason, I filter with cottonwool in a funnel, When it becomes clogged
      with carbon, tip back into whatever, replace cottonwool and carry on.
      Works for me.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > Go ahead and start laughing. Last Saturday I picked up some good
      > quality aquarium carbon and was going to give it a try on a couple of
      > liters of neutral I had. I Diluted enough to make a total of 2 liters
      > down to 45% and added a half cup of the carbon to the Jar. Being the
      > BIG DUMMY I am, I neglected to wash the carbon first. Thats right,
      > Just dumped it in there DUST and all. I started trying to filter some
      > of it last night, about a quart. This stuff is jet black. I was
      > using coffee filters doubled. After going through 3 sets of filters I
      > have a nice, pretty, charcoal Grey spirit. Any suggestions on getting
      > it back to clear or am i going to have to put it back in the Still to
      > clear it back up? Would it be possible to wash some more carbon and
      > put it in a coffee filter in the funnel and filter it out that way?
      > Would the clean carbon bed filter the dust out?
      >
      > Mason
      > Head hung low

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2008
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@> wrote:

        > > Go ahead and start laughing. Last Saturday I picked up some good
        > > quality aquarium carbon and was going to give it a try on a couple of
        > > liters of neutral I had. I Diluted enough to make a total of 2 liters
        > > down to 45% and added a half cup of the carbon to the Jar. Being the
        > > BIG DUMMY I am, I neglected to wash the carbon first. Thats right,
        > > Just dumped it in there DUST and all. I started trying to filter some
        > > of it last night, about a quart. This stuff is jet black. I was
        > > using coffee filters doubled. After going through 3 sets of filters I
        > > have a nice, pretty, charcoal Grey spirit. Any suggestions on getting
        > > it back to clear or am i going to have to put it back in the Still to
        > > clear it back up? Would it be possible to wash some more carbon and
        > > put it in a coffee filter in the funnel and filter it out that way?
        > > Would the clean carbon bed filter the dust out?
        > >
        > > Mason
        > > Head hung low

        I wanted to thank Ken and Brown_Ion for their advice with this. I let
        the 2 liters rest on the carbon for 7 days and got around to filtering
        it out Saturday morning. As advised I took a foot long piece of 1
        1/2" copper pipe and tightly packed 20 cotton balls into one end of it
        and then rubber banded a coffee filter to it to keep the cotton in
        place. I used one of those plier type wood clamps to hold the tube in
        place on top of the mason jar and poured the stuff through. I had to
        filter it 3 times changing the cotton and filter each time. It still
        seemed to have just the slightest and i mean slight grey tint to it
        but a fourth run through gave the same result with clean cotton left
        over so I was satisfied I had gotten all i was gonna get. The
        resulting drink was well worth it. It maintained 45%abv through the
        process but had lost its bite/sting. Very smooth.
        I mixed up another 3 liters and put in some higher quality carbon.
        Yes I washed it well this go around. I would like to ask however if
        the residual carbon poses any harm. I would assume not as I know that
        some has to make it through my water system filter and it seems to be
        safe for the fragile life of a fish. Would like to hear a couple of
        opinions though.

        Mason
        It sure is good with the Ultra Premium Irish essence from Brewhaus.
      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2008

[...]

          Mate,

          Can not see it being harmful as is so little amount. If left to stand for some time will settle in time???

          Cheers

          Ken Mc

        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2008

            Mate,

            Can not see it being harmful as is so little amount. If left to stand for some time will settle in time??? Then before consuming could filter through coffee filter if worried??

            Cheers

            Ken Mc

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2008
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
              wrote:
              > Mate,
              >
              > Can not see it being harmful as is so little amount. If left to stand
              for
              > some time will settle in time???
              >
              > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Ken Mc

              Burnt toast = carbon. Flatulence pills = carbon. Poison antidote =
              carbon. Lifeforms on earth = carbon based organisms. Many more, too
              many to cite.

            • Brown
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2008
                Mason, for more information about carbon , Google   strand@...  or www.homedistillation.com/freebook.htm  for a free email book on the subject. As i understand aquarium carbon, some of it is best left for the fish ,and not for ethanol. Some time ago (2002) i purchased a 20kg bag of (norit row 0.8 supra) Im still using it ,and with cleaning it ,i may never need any more .There are Business that have filtering carbon in bulk for water etc .  ion
[...]

                Checked by AVG.
              • Trid
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2008
                  http://tinyurl.com/6zfax3

                  It's dumb enough to sell, but to sell to children??? It's nigh impossible to
                  have any sympathy for this one.

                  Trid
                  -as if our hobby needs even more setbacks :(
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 9, 2008

                    > http://tinyurl.com/6zfax3
                    >
                    > It's dumb enough to sell, but to sell to children??? It's nigh
                    impossible to
                    > have any sympathy for this one.
                    >
                    > Trid
                    > -as if our hobby needs even more setbacks :(

                    Hmmm...Rash by name, rash by nature.

                  • gff_stwrt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 10, 2008
                      Hi, folks
                      I think charcoal was used in medicines in earlier times.

                      Regards,
                      The Baker

                      wrote:

                      > I wanted to thank Ken and Brown_Ion for their advice with this. I
                      let
                      > the 2 liters rest on the carbon for 7 days and got around to
                      filtering
                      > it out Saturday morning. As advised I took a foot long piece of 1
                      > 1/2" copper pipe and tightly packed 20 cotton balls into one end
                      of it
                      > and then rubber banded a coffee filter to it to keep the cotton in
                      > place. I used one of those plier type wood clamps to hold the tube
                      in
                      > place on top of the mason jar and poured the stuff through. I had
                      > filter it 3 times changing the cotton and filter each time. It
                      still
                      > seemed to have just the slightest and i mean slight grey tint to it
                      > but a fourth run through gave the same result with clean cotton
                      left
                      > over so I was satisfied I had gotten all i was gonna get. The
                      > resulting drink was well worth it. It maintained 45%abv through the
                      > process but had lost its bite/sting. Very smooth.
                      > I mixed up another 3 liters and put in some higher quality carbon.
                      > Yes I washed it well this go around. I would like to ask however if
                      > the residual carbon poses any harm. I would assume not as I know
                      that
                      > some has to make it through my water system filter and it seems to
                      be
                      > safe for the fragile life of a fish. Would like to hear a couple of
                      > opinions though.
                      >
                      > Mason
                      > It sure is good with the Ultra Premium Irish essence from
                      Brewhaus.

                      > Mate,
                      >
                      > Can not see it being harmful as is so little amount. If left to
                      stand for
                      > some time will settle in time???
                      >
                      > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am
                      sure...

                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Ken Mc

                    • rye_junkie1
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 10, 2008

                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Mate,
                        > >
                        > > Can not see it being harmful as is so little amount. If left to stand
                        > for
                        > > some time will settle in time???
                        > >
                        > > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                        > >
                        > > Cheers
                        > >
                        > > Ken Mc
                        > >

                        > Burnt toast = carbon. Flatulence pills = carbon. Poison antidote =
                        > carbon. Lifeforms on earth = carbon based organisms. Many more, too
                        > many to cite.
                        >
                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                        Thanks fellas,
                        I pretty much had the same thoughts just need some re assurance.

                        Mason
                        Must get some of those fart pills for dog.
                        Little Bastard can clear a room in a second.