green floting things

  • jeandenis308
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi all,

      I had run a batch yesterday and as usuall it runs very slowly over here.
      Small pott small batch, 1 gallon.

      Today i burnt some sugar to a brown collor so i can collor the result.

      Now i had putt this clunk in the bottle of diluted distilate and shoke
      it frequently till i went away and had putt it on the computer screen
      so it will warm up a bit and the sugar clunk could disolve easyer.

      Now back hom i found green flakes ore so floating in it.

      but it wasnt there will running the batch ore diluting the batch.

      Now im chill filtering the bottle wich i suspect it wouldnt work for
      that butt it got a bit harsh in aftertaste.

      Any one that can explain this ?

      I suspect its oxidised copper due to the oxygen from the shaking.

      i used a aluminum pott with coper tubing and quick fit wrench
      connection. and 4 ss scrubbs of 2 inch and 2 inch apart in a 22mm tube.
      of 40cm length.

      Greets.

      JD
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008

        JD,

        To make caramel for colouring a distillate is more than “Burning Sugar” and chucking the burnt lump in your grog, mate. This will result in a very bitter burnt taste. You need to take more time as you want only the colour? So take a couple cups of sugar and the same amount of water. Boil the water and add the sugar and turn down heat to a light simmer. Stop when you reach the colour/ consistency you want. Stir into the distillate a drop at a time ( better still use a plunge blender or food processor) until you get the colour you want as you are not adding flavour . For Colour you can as, most do, soak or age in Oak chips then strain off and if you need a bit more colour add well prepared caramel as above.

        The green floaties???mmm sounds like copper?? Check your gear; you should not have that much copper that it forms crystals in your distillate??maybe others hear can advise

        Cheers

        Ken Mc

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
          You are so very right Ken.

          My favorite recipe for caramel coloring requires 2 ingredients.
          1 cup sugar and 1 table spoon lemon juice. The lemon juice changes the
          sucrose to invert sugar and helps in the liquefication process.
          Mix together and cook until the chosen dark color. While still hot,
          and using a lot of caution,carefully start dribbling in water while
          still on the heat to liquefy the caramel. If you don't do this it will
          turn to a rock when it cools. This makes it capable of being poured
          into a bottle for the desired color and flavor. I use this to make
          flavored rums with very good success.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

          > JD,
          >

          > To make caramel for colouring a distillate is more than "Burning
          Sugar" and
          > chucking the burnt lump in your grog, mate. This will result in a very
          > bitter burnt taste. You need to take more time as you want only the
          colour?
          > So take a couple cups of sugar and the same amount of water. Boil
          the water
          > and add the sugar and turn down heat to a light simmer. Stop when
          you reach
          > the colour/ consistency you want. Stir into the distillate a drop at
          a time
          > ( better still use a plunge blender or food processor) until you get the
          > colour you want as you are not adding flavour . For Colour you can
          as, most
          > do, soak or age in Oak chips then strain off and if you need a bit more
          > colour add well prepared caramel as above.
          >
          > The green floaties???mmm sounds like copper?? Check your gear; you
          should
          > not have that much copper that it forms crystals in your
          distillate??maybe
          > others hear can advise
          >
          > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Ken Mc
          >

          > _____

        • Ron Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
            I would try and get rid of the aluminum pot as well

            www.yahoo7.com.au/mail
          • jeandenis308
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
              I did clean, scrub down the gear to bear shiny copper and rinsed well.
              the aluminum still i want to replace for a SS in time.

              The sugar, i did the recippy as supposed to. But somewhere i went wrong
              and got about 10ml of collored sirup and a clunk of hard sugar.
              So I putted it in and tasted well like normal caramel.
              Normally i putt clunks like these in a glas with water and putt that in
              a pan with hot water to melt it down.

              Thx for the reply's

              Greetz

              JD