Re: filtering verses stripping run

  • jrwme
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Arsene Lupin" <ragnagna75012@...>

      http://www.winequip.com.au/Home+Winemaking+and+Brewing_Filtration.html?PHPSESSID=e05a19d488e07c400d5de0c9f3ff342b
      > > )for a song.
      > >
      > > I now run my wash through the 0.2 micron filter and go straight to the
      > > spirit run. The output of the filtering is clear like water, unless I
      > > have molasses in the wash, then I get a filtrate like tea. I am
      > > finding that I get a very neutral spirit that requires no carbon
      > > filtering. Overall, my runs now take less time (no striping run and no
      > > carbon)although the filtering take around 3 hours for a 50L wash
      > >

      > > Just my 2 cents, Regards
      > >
      > > Jerry
      > >
      > That's very interesting, how did you setup the filters ? How do you
      > make sure they dont get clogged ? Has anyone tried Aluminium sulfate
      > as a clearing agent ?

      Never tried Aluminium sulfate as a clearing agent

      As for the setup, just run the output of the fermenter through the
      filter and into the boiler. As for clogging, yes they do clog after
      running 50L through them but thats ok as thats what my standard amount
      is. I then disassemble the filter and let the pads dry in the sun for
      a day then shake off the old yeast which I collect and reuse and then
      reuse the filter pads.

      Jerry